A Hurricane in motion

On Oct. 11, 1985, Tim Harris entered this world with athletic blood running through his veins. Fast-forward 19 years later and a 5’9”, 160-pound Harris is receiving the Nike Athlete of the Year Award for his stellar performance on the track and field team.

Harris decided to come to the University of Miami because he wanted his parents and younger brother to get a chance to watch him run in college. He grew up in Overtown, which is just north of downtown Miami. Even through Harris lives on campus, he is not far from home.

Harris has consistently outrun his competition. On Feb. 19 he received All-ACC Honors in the 800-meters with a second place finish at the Indoor Track and Field Championships in Chapel Hill, N.C. Prior to that, Harris set the record in the Florida High School State Final in 2004 by running the 800 meters in 1:49:75.

Harris’ work ethic stems from his desire to exceed expectations. Critics who doubted his ability only motivated the young man to work harder.

“I work hard but I always feel there is room for improvement,” Harris said.

Harris said he juggles dual responsibilities.

“It’s a struggle everyday to run track and be a full-time student,” he said.

According to Harris, UM athletes do not get special privileges or breaks from teachers. His schedule is very tight with morning and afternoon workouts. Harris recalled high school being much easier but looks forward daily to handling his responsibilities.

Harris is adjusting quite well to being a freshman at the University of Miami. He offered this advice to senior high school runners who will venture onto college campuses this fall.

“Don’t let anyone stop you from reaching your goal and don’t be realistic but work hard,” Harris said.

Even with these accomplishments, Harris expects improvement. He wants bring at least two NCAA Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field Championships to University of Miami in his next four years here. With a major in Sports Administration, after college Harris plans to stay on “track.”

“I want to be a professional athlete…and I right now I am working hard to be in the 2008 [Summer] Olympics.”

Paul Campbell can be contacted at

p.campbell62@umiami.edu.

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...