TOP TEN Sports Moments of the Year

1. No. 5 Miami Beats No. 4 Florida State in ACC Opener

It seems like any Top 10 list we have usually is highlighted by a thrilling Miami v. Florida State showdown. This year was no exception, as the Hurricanes came back from a 10-0 second half deficit to stun the Seminoles in overtime 16-10. The game had to be postponed from a Monday night kickoff to Friday night because of Hurricane Frances. Frank Gore sealed the victory with an 18-yard touchdown run in overtime.

2. Bradley Ranked No. 1 in Country

A storied women’s tennis career at UM reached its peak when senior Megan Bradley received the top ranking in the country in the March 8 Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, becoming the first player to earn such an honor since 1988. Bradley went on to be named the ACC Player of the Year and led the Hurricanes to the finals of the ACC Championships.

3. James’ buzzer-beater leads Hurricanes past Georgia Tech

Looking to salvage a disappointing first season in the ACC, the women’s basketball team relied on its star player, Tamara James, to get the team a much-needed ACC Tournament victory over Georgia Tech. With the score tied at 58 with 1.6 seconds left, Yalonda McCormick launched a full-court pass to James, who nailed a turnaround jumper to give the ‘Canes the victory.

4. Football rallies to beat Louisville

Brock Berlin led the football team back from a 17-point deficit to beat upstart Louisville 41-38 at the Orange Bowl on Oct. 14. Berlin threw three touchdown passes and Frank Gore’s one-yard touchdown clinched the win for the Hurricanes. Devin Hester added a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown to put UM ahead 34-31 in the fourth quarter, but Brian Brohm led Louisville right back down the field for a touchdown, setting up the dramatic finish.

5. Women’s track wins ACC Championship

The eighth-ranked women’s track and field team took its first ACC Championship in Tallahassee last weekend. The Hurricanes were sparked by junior All-American Charlette Greggs, who won both the 200-meter and 400-meter events. UM recorded six individual event victories in all to finish with 142 points, 20 more than second-place North Carolina.

6. Miami Defeats Maryland in OT

Will Frisby made a pair of free throws with 0.8 seconds left in overtime to lift Miami past No. 22 Maryland 75-73. Miami led nearly the entire game and after Guillermo Diaz almost won it in regulation on a half court shot at the buzzer that was waved off, the Hurricanes held on for their fifth ACC win of the year.

7. Carrillo Tosses Complete Game Shutout

Cesar Carrillo continued his dominance on the pitcher’s mound, and Miami only needed one run to get the best of Oral Roberts in a 1-0 victory. It was Carrillo’s first ever shutout as he gave up only five hits and struck out nine batters.

8. Tina Miller Wins Ryder Cup

Tina Miller shot a final round 77 to secure the Ryder Cup Championship for the University of Miami. It was her third victory of the year, the most since 1987-1988. The victory helped seal Miami’s first state title since 1993.

9. Duke Basketball Comes to Coral Gables

Students were lined up for hours to make their way into what some called the biggest basketball game Miami had ever played. Even though No.4 Duke won the game, it showed the Hurricanes had the fans, as the Convocation Center was rocking all night long. Fans included Alex Rodriguez and Alonzo Mourning in the front row.

10. Hurricanes Rip Gators in the Peach Bowl

Playing in their first non-BCS bowl game in quite a while, the Hurricanes showed no signs of ill will as they defeated the Gators 27-10. In his final game as a ‘Cane, Brock Berlin threw for 171 yards as he led Miami to their third straight “State Title.”

The Gino DiMare era for the Miami Hurricanes couldn’t have started any better. In DiMare’s first gam ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team is a Lisa Leslie Center of the Year Aw ...