Seniors bid farewell to Miami

“Congratulations, you’ve been accepted to the University of Miami.” It is hard to believe it has been four-and in some cases five or six-years since we opened those acceptance letters, telling us of our futures as Hurricanes. For some it was a lifelong dream, for others a last resort, but either way we convened upon this Coral Gables campus. And we haven’t been the same since.

In our time at UM, we have seen tragedy and triumph. We have shed tears and screamed cheers. We’ve beat FSU in football five times in the past four years; we played host to the presidential debate, and we got a new president of our own. We’ve seen the Convocation Center and Pavia built, and we’ve seen patios spring up everywhere. We’ve seen the University grow and change, just as we have.

From the day that we showed up for our first class to the day we walk on stage to receive our diplomas, we will have done it all together. As graduation day looms in the not-so-distant future, remember that this is just the beginning. The years of school and studying are about to pay off. The future, no matter what it may hold, is bright for each and every one of us. Some of us will head home, others to law school; some will be serving the less fortunate through volunteering, while still others will enter the workforce. The future is endless. There is no stopping us. Some of us will go on to be doctors, lawyers, politicians, teachers, CEOs, movie stars-but no matter where our paths may take us, the routes all went through the same place.

Never in a million years did we think, as we walked onto campus for the first time, that we would be leaving UM as the people that we are today. As graduation approaches, part of us still feels like that lost freshman miles away from home, but another part of us knows that we are as prepared as we’re ever going to be to face the “real world.”

There hasn’t been a single thing that has defined our UM experience, not one that stands out as the situation, the challenge, the moment that defined it all. After all, UM is so much more then a school that you took classes at. It is where we learned the real lessons of life-how to tailgate and survive hurricanes and finals, the importance of sunscreen and Starbucks, the art of all nighters and so much more It is where we realized that we are all just along for the ride, where we made our best friends and our share of enemies.

And while we all realize that there are few people that we will keep in touch with after graduation, don’t forget that it truly was the people who made our experience so memorable.

To all of the members of the Class of 2005, it wouldn’t have been UM without you. Thank you.

-Written by the graduating seniors of the editorial board: Deborah Block, Sara Miga and Leigha Taber.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...