CD REVIEWS

Aqualung

Strange and Beautiful

Mellow, solid vocals. The instrumentals are mostly piano and drums; the lyrics are about forlorn love and dramatic relationships. Music is lethargic but moving. The lyrics seem to be really meaningful and relate to listeners and possible life situations. The vocalist has a sweet sound to his voice and combined with the smooth melody, the music invokes a sense of euphoria. Definitely should be classified as borderline emo; most definitely easy-listening.

Mudvanye

Lost and Found

Typical to the Mudvanye style. Twelve racks of hardcore rock and screaming. Made for intense music listeners. The lyrics deal with serious issues such as suicide, determination for success and death. The melodies, if you can call them that, consist of strong drums and guitar. Meant to be played on the highest volume possible. Host a rock concert and turn up the Mudvanye. Be sure to wear scary makeup and smear fake blood on the walls.

Steel Train

Twilight Tale From the Prairies of the Sun

A combination of folk and slow rock. The five man band presents 15 tracks of upbeat yet soft three-minute mini-stories. Some songs talk of drugs, specific women and alternative subjects. Artwork on the CD is incredible but very out-there. Track 10, “Tickle Your Toes,” begins with a blues feel, but the influences felt from all different genres of music. General feel-good music.

Self Against City

Take It How You Want It

Similar to many emo-punk rock bands. Sounds are reminiscent of Something Corporate and a less-depressing The Postal Service. The lead singer’s voice is pleasant to listen to and good for a long drive. The songs are very drum based. Despite their good sound, they will have to fight for recognition in a genre that is so competitive.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...