A senior’s parting words of wisdom

It’s 3:30 in the morning, in the last week of class, and unlike my friend Jorge Arauz last year, I am not drunk. I’m trying like hell to convince myself that the English essay I have due soon-the last one I’ll ever write-is important. I have come to the conclusion that it really isn’t, I’m outta here in a few weeks, and everything is already set in stone for me. Sorry Dr. Glimp, love your class, but this one isn’t going to be a knockout.

So it has been four years. It’s a small number, but it’s pretty hard to fathom what it represents. In my case, and many others, it represents boundless growth-both personally and academically. Looking from point A, checking into Stanford Residential College four years ago, to point B, right now writing this column, it’s mind boggling the journey that foolish and immature little boy went on. I learned valuable lessons along the way, and feel compelled to share some-take it for what it’s worth.

Underclassmen: your time is limited, make it count. Get involved, go Greek, run for Student Government, write for The Hurricane, volunteer. Never skip a home football game, and certainly never leave one early. Go to Tallahassee once to watch the rivalry from their turf, skip classes if you have to. Be yourselves; I spent nearly three years attempting to be something else-you can’t get that time back. Most importantly, carry the torch. President Shalala has graduated her first start to finish class, the University is becoming more respected every day, make your contribution to the legacy.

Fellow soon-to-be University of Miami alumni: Remember your roots. Think back to how much the University of Miami has done for us in the past years. When things got rough, it was there for us. When friends lost parents and couldn’t afford to continue, money miraculously appeared for them to remain. When Hurricanes devastated many UM families, unsolicited offers of financial help were received. The list rambles on. Remember your alma mater; give back so that it can continue to give to the next generation.

Don’t stop at giving either; be fervent in defense of our school. Be proud. Represent the University of Miami everywhere. Never let fellow alumni pass you by without saying hello and introducing yourself-and most importantly, no matter where you move to, where you go to grad school, or who you marry; always root for the orange and green.

This journey is nearly over, and the next segment of life waits to be tackled by the newest wave of University of Miami Graduates. The senior class is ready, and to those of you that are following behind us, we’ll be waiting for you at the top.

Don Donelson can be contacted at d.donelson@umiami.edu.

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...