Travesty of justice in death of Ashley Kelly

Our criminal justice system has allowed a young woman to needlessly die without consequence against the individual responsible for her death. As we all know, Kristin Arbuckle ran the red light on U.S. 1, striking, and killing freshman Ashley Kelly. The Coral Gables police department’s decision not to file vehicular homicide charges against Arbuckle has nothing to do with her relation to chairman of the Board of Trustees, Dean Colson, or to the great remorse she showed after the accident occurred. Instead, the wording of Florida’s Vehicular Homicide Statute (782.071) and supporting case law would have made a successful prosecution of Arbuckle impossible. In the eyes of Florida law, she acted “carelessly” but not “recklessly” in running the red light and thus bears no criminal culpability for the death.

Florida Statute 782.071 defines vehicular homicide as, “the killing of a human being caused by the operation of a motor vehicle by another in a reckless manner likely to cause the death of, or great bodily harm to, another.” As per Florida Statute 316.192, reckless driving must meet the standard of a, “willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” The Coral Gables police department conducted an investigation into the accident and, as reported by The Miami Herald, found no evidence of intoxication, speeding, cell phone use or a dangerous driving pattern preceding the incident. Based on a Florida Appellate Court decision in the very similar case of State v. Del Rio (2D02-7806), the prosecution could prove “careless” but not “willful, wanton or reckless” driving required by statute for conviction without any of the preceding elements present.

The Florida Legislature must change the unjustly worded Vehicular Homicide Statute to include not just “reckless” but also “careless” driving. In its present form, the statute effectively places blame on the homicide victim legally crossing in a crosswalk at a red light instead of the driver who breaks the law by “carelessly” running a red light. Sure, we can build an overpass at the intersection and makecrossing there safer, but at every other intersection across the state drivers will have no incentive to operate their deadly vehicles “carefully” if no criminal penalties exist for the “careless” taking of human life.

Pete Trombadore can be contacted at p.trombadore@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...