Going the distance

Track runners are always going places, but Billy Bludgus, a graduating senior and the recipient of the Student Organization Leader of the Year SOAR Award and the Edward T. Foote II Award for Excellence in Student Leadership, has come a long way since he first arrived to UM after he was recruited to the men’s track team.

Bludgus spent his last four years as a distance runner in the UM track team, a brother of Sigma Phi Epsilon, and a student majoring in mathematics, secondary education, and German. Somewhere along the way, he managed to become an active member of the UM community through his volunteer work and efforts in the Student Government.

“My heart always lies in the Volunteer Services Center, but then again I live in the Student Government office,” Bludgus said.

The fondest memories of his time at school include Homecoming, Funday, the hurricanes during the fall of 2004, and the events following September 11th.

“Anytime I’ve been able to witness our campus coming together as a united community, that’s what I remember,” Bludgus said. “It’s just the comradery and Hurricane spirit during those times.”

Bludgus came to Miami from a humble New Jersey lifestyle after being recruited as a runner on the track team. He recalls where he came from and cherishes the place he is today, attributing any successes to hard work, determination, and the support, encouragement, and inspiration of many people along the way.

“I’m just lucky to be here, to have escaped and be able to get a full college experience. If you look at the kids I grew up with, I’m the only one that’s made it to college and is going to graduate,” Bludgus said.

Bludgus’ optimistic outlook on life and willingness to serve are what have made him stand out to the student body. Bludgus lost the 2004-2005 Student Government President elections, but only laughs and says, “Things happen the way they’re supposed to happen. I don’t see it as a negative at all.”

Following graduation, Bludgus will spend two years in Tanzania, Africa as part of a Jesuit Volunteer Corp where he will be teaching math and English as well as recreational activities.

When asked what he will miss most about Miami, Bludgus said, “Everything.”

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...