Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

Senior All-American Charlette Greggs won both the 200-meters and 400-meters Saturday to help lead the eighth-ranked Miami women’s track and field team to the team title at ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Tallahassee, Fla.

Miami recorded six individual event victories to finish with 142 points, 20 points ahead of second-place North Carolina. Miami sweeps the ACC Track and Field titles in its first year in the league. The ‘Canes won the ACC Indoor Track and Field title earlier this season.

Greggs won the 400-meters with a time of 52.08, the fastest time by a collegian and the fifth-fastest in the world this season. Greggs, the 2005 ACC Indoor champion at 400-meters, led three Hurricane runners in the top-four of the outdoor event. Sophomore All-American Ginou Etienne finished third with a time of 53.58 seconds, while senior All-American Wiande Moore placed fourth with a time of 54.62 seconds.

Greggs later won the 200-meters with a time of 23.06 seconds. Freshman All-American Lauren Austin finished sixth in the 200-meters with a time of 24.36 seconds.

Junior All-American Dominique Darden captured the 400-meter hurdles title with a time of 56.02 seconds. Darden’s winning time set an all-time ACC Conference record as well as a new meet and school record.

Darden also placed fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.47 seconds.

Junior Melanie Schultz pulled off one of the most impressive performances of the meet, recording two school-records and two NCAA regional qualifying marks. Schultz placed fourth in the 1500-meters, posting a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying time of 4:26.03. Schultz shattered the UM record, bettering the old mark by more than three seconds.

She later placed fifth in the 5000-meters with a school-record and NCAA Regional mark of 16:44.10. Schulz, who had never competed in the 5000-meters before Saturday, broke the old UM record by more than 12 seconds, a record that had lasted since 1990.

In the triple jump, sophomore All-American Tabia Charles placed second with a leap of 13.21 meters (43-04.25), while sophomore Amy Seward finished seventh with a mark of 12.34 meters (40-06.00).

Junior All-American India Ransom placed second in what turned out to be the 90-meter dash with a time of 10.42 seconds. The race, which was supposed to be 100-meters long, was started at the incorrect starting point. Due to time constraints the race was not re-run.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay of Charles, Moore, Darden and Ransom placed second with a time of 44.57 seconds.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...