Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD

Women’s Track & Field

Senior All-American Charlette Greggs won both the 200-meters and 400-meters Saturday to help lead the eighth-ranked Miami women’s track and field team to the team title at ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Tallahassee, Fla.

Miami recorded six individual event victories to finish with 142 points, 20 points ahead of second-place North Carolina. Miami sweeps the ACC Track and Field titles in its first year in the league. The ‘Canes won the ACC Indoor Track and Field title earlier this season.

Greggs won the 400-meters with a time of 52.08, the fastest time by a collegian and the fifth-fastest in the world this season. Greggs, the 2005 ACC Indoor champion at 400-meters, led three Hurricane runners in the top-four of the outdoor event. Sophomore All-American Ginou Etienne finished third with a time of 53.58 seconds, while senior All-American Wiande Moore placed fourth with a time of 54.62 seconds.

Greggs later won the 200-meters with a time of 23.06 seconds. Freshman All-American Lauren Austin finished sixth in the 200-meters with a time of 24.36 seconds.

Junior All-American Dominique Darden captured the 400-meter hurdles title with a time of 56.02 seconds. Darden’s winning time set an all-time ACC Conference record as well as a new meet and school record.

Darden also placed fourth in the 100-meter hurdles with a time of 13.47 seconds.

Junior Melanie Schultz pulled off one of the most impressive performances of the meet, recording two school-records and two NCAA regional qualifying marks. Schultz placed fourth in the 1500-meters, posting a school-record and NCAA Regional qualifying time of 4:26.03. Schultz shattered the UM record, bettering the old mark by more than three seconds.

She later placed fifth in the 5000-meters with a school-record and NCAA Regional mark of 16:44.10. Schulz, who had never competed in the 5000-meters before Saturday, broke the old UM record by more than 12 seconds, a record that had lasted since 1990.

In the triple jump, sophomore All-American Tabia Charles placed second with a leap of 13.21 meters (43-04.25), while sophomore Amy Seward finished seventh with a mark of 12.34 meters (40-06.00).

Junior All-American India Ransom placed second in what turned out to be the 90-meter dash with a time of 10.42 seconds. The race, which was supposed to be 100-meters long, was started at the incorrect starting point. Due to time constraints the race was not re-run.

The women’s 4×100-meter relay of Charles, Moore, Darden and Ransom placed second with a time of 44.57 seconds.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...