I.M.P.A.C.T.’s name says it all

UM boasts of more than 200 registered organizations, each with a unique purpose to make the UM community a better place and give students the opportunity to express themselves outside the classroom. What would happen if the leaders involved on campus were to come together to make a change at the University?

This question led to the development of I.M.P.A.C.T., or Individuals Meeting Potential and Creating Tomorrow. The Volunteer Services Center, Multicultural Student Affairs, Student Government, the Department of Residential Halls, the Center for Student Leadership and key administration and faculty joined together to create a program that would seek out involved students with strong potential to become leaders, educated them and let them define and work on weak areas in student involvement on campus.

More than 75 students were nominated to be participants and 17 were nominated as facilitators during this weekend. After being nominated, they were asked to fill out an application and go through an interview process. At the end, about 30 participants and seven facilitators were invited to attend the three-day experience.

“We chose predominantly first and second year students as participants, but there were a few upperclassmen that made good impressions,” Keith Fletcher, resident coordinator in Hecht Residential College, said. “The goal was to identify the blossoming leaders whose potential was yet untapped.”

The group boarded a bus and went to Key Largo for three days with little knowledge of what was before them. Opening activities centered on team building and creative ice breakers that helped the group get to know each other. Lessons were taught through various tasks and speakers, including David Coleman, the “date doctor,” and were based off of the five practices outlined in The Leadership Challenge by Kouzes Posner.

On the last day, five groups were formed with specific ideas that were to be developed. Each of the ideas pertained to leadership on campus and how to get more students involved. While the ideas have not yet been released, they are tangible concepts with intended start dates that have a high probability of being implemented.

Participants and facilitators quickly realized the strength the group possessed as one and the almost instantaneous bond between them.

“Before participating in I.M.P.A.C.T., I never would have guessed that spending a weekend with 30 strangers would essentially become one of the most memorable experiences of my life,” Jessica Gentile, freshman, said. “I will definitely take the skills that I learned through I.M.P.A.C.T.’s programs and apply them to various areas of my life, and I will always remember the group of people who have contributed to my newfound strengths.”

Plans are under way to open I.M.P.A.C.T. to more students by having a Fall retreat aimed at sophomores and a Spring session for freshmen.

Stacey Arnold can be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...