Entertain yourself in the Summer Sun

Summer is coming and for those not working or going to school, occupying time can be a big issue. EDGE happens to know how to plan ahead. Check out the lists of concerts, events and fun things to do. Who knows, this may be one of the last chances to have some fun.

Go to the Zoo!

Remember when you were little and going to the zoo was the greatest adventure? Revisit your childhood and spend under $10 to have a whole day full of sqwaking ducks, roaring lions and waddling penguins.

Top zoos in the country

1. Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo (Nebraska)

2. Sedwick County Zoo (Kansas)

3. San Diego Zoo (California)

4. Toledo Zoo (Ohio)

5. Bronx Zoo (New York)

See what’s Under the Sea

So you’ve seen the animals that walk on land, now why don’t you re-acquaint yourself with the creatures of the sea? Aquariums are just as fun if not more fun than zoos because sea life is less explored and understood.

Top aquariums in the country

1. Alaska SeaLife Center (Alaska)

2. The Estuarium (Alabama)

3. Birch Aquarium at Scripps (California)

4. Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific (California)

5. Oregon State Aquarium (Oregon) Visit an Amusement Park.

You know you’ve seen it-the rickety wooden roller coaster that sits on the side of I-95. Although it looks less intimidating now, it reminds you of the past, when every time you got on a coaster you got butterflies.

Amusement parks in Florida: There couldn’t be any more

Universal Studios, Orlando

Islands of Adventure, Orlando

MGM, Orlando

Disney World, Orlando

Busch Gardens, Tampa Bay

Amusement parks around the country

Great Adventure, New Jersey

Six Flags-locations all over the country, including California, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma, Washington State and the northern East Coast. For all parks, see www.sixflags.com.

First amusement park in the USA

Knott’s Berry Farm

Celebrate Independence in Style

The Fourth of July is the big holiday of the summer, so why not have a blowout this year? Ensure that there are plenty of fireworks, lots of beverages (no matter the liquid inside) and a grill that’s constantly cooking up some delish BBQ. For those of you who want something other than the backyard hamburger charade, book a plane ticket to the Hamptons and party with the biggest celebs. From clubs like Bungalow 8 to the Star Room where Diddy likes to host his “White Party,” the Hamptons is the most posh spot to be to celebrate the birth of our country.

Tip: Save money on your airfare so you can drop the extra cash on a luxurious hotel room or even a table in VIP. Airline tickets to New York from Miami are around $69 on Jet Blue.

Rock out At A Concert

Summertime is usually slow for concerts; however, plenty of cities keep the live acts playing all year around. Log on to www.ticketmaster.com and sign up to get announcements for who is going on tour and when tickets go on sale.

Big tour for the summer

Alicia Keys, Diary Tour: Touring with John Legend. Keys has signed up to perform for more audiences all up and down the West Coast. Look for her at sold out shows in California and Nevada.

Miami area

Keeping with the local music scene, check out venues such as i/o for indie bands, Flavour for local rock bands, and The Culture Room and the American Airlines Arena.

Some summer highlights:

Kelly Clarkson, May 6/ Boca Raton

Kenny Chesney, May 7/ Sunrise

Ravonettes, May 22/ Ft. Lauderdale

Allman Brothers, May 24/ Boca Raton

Santana, June 1/ American Airlines

Keane, June 16/ Ft. Lauderdale

>> Don’t forget about other events such as festivals, fairs, poetry readings and art openings. Don’t limit yourself to mundane ideas.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu