Beware of facebook consequence

Mark Zuckerberg may have had good intentions when creating thefacebook, and he has created a pretty cool site, but I think it has its downfalls.

The purpose of thefacebook is to facilitate communication with large numbers of people at once. Zuckerberg’s goal reflects today’s society; the more and quicker production, the better. But there are certain boundaries that should not be crossed.

Because of the increase in technology and new creations like thefacebook, our generation is missing out on some important aspects of learning how to socialize. With America Online, AOL Instant Messenger, email and text messages, we don’t have to tell people things to their face anymore. This way we can avoid their emotions or reactions to what we are saying. With less emotion it is easier to say certain things, especially if you are letting someone down.

I don’t think thefacebook focuses on quality communication, but rather, quantity. I consider quality, heart to heart, or “real” communication to be communication that includes eye contact, body language, facial expressions, tone of voice, human emotions and literally, personal presence.

Though thefacebook is trying to bring people together, in the long run it may physically and emotionally spread people apart. Though communication has become quicker and easier, as a result, there may be less communication face to face. When you are messaging someone about something, you are missing out on stopping by their room or calling them instead. “Real” communication is a skill that is learned through practice, not by taking the easy or faster way out by messaging. By not having to go out of our way anymore to contact people, we do not have to learn or reinforce certain communication skills.

It’s important that people know when to communicate with friends online and when to say something in person. This is something that we constantly need to remind ourselves of. If it is important enough, no matter how nervous you are, no matter how embarrassed you might feel saying something, don’t take the easy way out and message someone on thefacebook. Wait and talk to them in person or on the phone instead. In the long run, it will make things much easier.

Tara Irani can be contacted at t.irani1@umiami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...