Alleged sexual battery reported at house

An alleged sexual battery is part of the ongoing investigation of the Epsilon Omega Chapter of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity at UM, police said.

The incident was reported to the Coral Gables Police Department on Saturday, March 26, and allegedly took place early that morning. Later that week, the University suspended the fraternity indefinitely pending an investigation.

According to Community Affairs Officer Martin Barros, the alleged sexual battery at 5900 San Amaro Drive-the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house-involved two UM students. Police have interviewed the victim, witnesses and alleged perpetrator and are waiting for the results of a toxicology report to send the investigation to the state attorney’s office to see if any further action needs to be taken.

Kip Zurcher, chief operating officer of the national Lambda Chi Alpha headquarters, said the alleged sexual battery was a part of the headquarters’ investigation of the UM chapter.

“The chapter had an event of the house-a small gathering-and we heard allegations of a violation of conduct,” Zurcher said. “We’re sensitive to the police report and understanding of the gravity of it.”

A battery occurs “when a person actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person” or “when a person intentionally causes bodily harm to another person,” according to Florida statutes.

Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said the University does not comment on pending investigations.

Zurcher also said the headquarters has concluded its investigation after working closely with students, alumni and the Dean of Students office. As of press time Wednesday, Zurcher said a response from the Lambda Chi Alpha national Board of Directors was expected by the end of the week.

“We want to be sure we’re providing a safe environment for the students,” Zurcher said. “That’s our top concern.”

Patricia Mazzei can be contacted at pmazzei@miami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...