Action, not blame

On Tuesday, Coral Gables police announced that Kristin Arbuckle, the 25-year-old woman who ran a red light and struck and killed Ashley Kelly as she and her friend Andrea Cinque were crossing U.S. 1 near campus last week, will not be charged in the death. She will, however, be issued a ticket for $115.50 and will receive four points on her license for running a red light.

Yet, what makes this story a little more complicated is that Arbuckle is the niece of Dean Colson, chairman of the UM Board of Trustees and a prominent lawyer in the area. While the police continue to ascertain that the accident was in fact just that, an accident, other people, including students and members of the surrounding community, are passing their own judgments. Accusations and rumors have been circulating that Arbuckle received a lighter punishment due to her family connections. It is being said that because her uncle is powerful and a lawyer in the community, the police went easier on her. Granted, the fine itself seems a little low, especially considering that you can get a $180 ticket for speeding on San Amaro, yet just because the police has seemingly weird fine criteria doesn’t mean that Arbuckle got special treatment. There is absolutely no evidence leaning to that fact.

Arbuckle was driving under the posted speed limit, wasn’t swerving through traffic, wasn’t under the influence and wasn’t talking on her cell phone. This incident, while undeniably tragic, was nothing more than a horrible accident. It is something that Arbuckle will have to live with for the rest of her life. Witnesses reported that after the accident she ran to Kelly’s side, held her hand and cried.

There is nothing that can be done to bring back the loss of Kelly to her friends and families. Yet, pointing more fingers than necessary when it was an accident is not going to help anything. The police have a job to do, to ensure that justice is served, and it is not up to the public to question the results of their investigations.

Instead of placing blame, we need to focus on preventing another accident and loss. We should concentrate our efforts on pushing the local government to create a pedestrian bridge on Ponce and U.S. 1 in front of the University. Student Government representatives have already met with city commissioners to discuss the plan, which is expected to take three years to complete. Students and other members of the UM community have signed petitions in support of the bridge, showing that the community feels the need for change. The loss can’t be replaced, but the push for improvement can mean that the loss won’t be forgotten.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...