With this ring pop

On Thursday, more than 130 students and a couple of administrators protested the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment by participating in OUTspoken’s mock marriages. The couples were heterosexual and homosexual, composed of friends, lovers, boyfriends, girlfriends, roommates-and in the case of Student Government President Pete Maki, who married former President Vance Aloupis-predecessors, all showing their protest of the amendment. In their vows, the couples took their partner “to be my symbolically wedded spouse to protest writing discrimination into the constitution and to demand marriage equality in the United States of America.”

This is the second year that OUTspoken invited everyone, regardless of gender, religious persuasion or sexual orientation, to come out and participate in the mock wedding ceremony, complete with marriage certificates, a faux reverend and traditional wedding cake.

Last year 40 couples took part-this year more than 65 did. While the number of couples is impressive, what is truly astounding was the crowd that watched the marriages on the UC Rock. People cheered and congratulated the newlyweds, just like in any other wedding.

Fortunately, there were no protests-the only exception being a passerby hollering “Shut up, Satan.” This helps to show that while we may not be the most politically active campus (though we are slowly improving), we do understand the importance of tolerance of different views. While the campus may not all agree on the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment and homosexual marriage in general, Thursday demonstrated that we can all support each other in our goals, regardless of our own personal beliefs.

Beyond that, all day students were talking about when they would have time to get married, and whom they would marry. It didn’t matter if you were gay or straight, Greek or non-Greek; it seemed like there was a line to get married during the entire two hours. The marriages also spawned conversation regarding religious and political beliefs and issues related not only to homosexual marriage, but also to things like adoption rights.

The goal of spectrUM’s Spring Awareness Week was to bring the issues facing GLBTQ individuals to light. They by far succeeded. After all, when was the last time you saw two future male Republican politicians exchanging vows?

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...