Where school ethics meet stupidity

Hey, kids! Need a couple extra bucks? Sure, we all do! All you gotta do is snitch on your classmates, and you could make $10…$25…$50…up to a hundred buck-a-roos! Sound too good to be true?

Well, at Model High School (I’m not making this name up) in Rome, Ga., it’s more than a dream; it’s a reality. Using money raised from sugary soda and candy sales, the school plans to reward students for information about anything from thefts to drug use to gun possession-and it doesn’t even have to happen on campus! Hell, if Jose Canseco could still go back to high school (damn those GEDs), he wouldn’t have even had to write Juiced!

Unfortunately, it appears this school’s administration has jumped the gun in this post-Columbine generation. Metal detectors? Sure. Drug dogs? Go ahead. Advocacy groups like D-FY-IT and SADD? Bring ’em on! But snitching?

Sure, this sounds backward coming from an RA who must impose the age-old rule of complicity-the idea that you’re as guilty for knowing that something wrong is going on as you are for actually doing the bad deed. But there is a decided difference between being present for someone’s mischievous action and actively sniffing it out. Perhaps these very same students could get a magnifying glass and examine the personal lives of the administration. Oh, wait, that would be wrong.

The idea of “invasion of privacy” has been going down the tubes thanks to a world where trust is an afterthought. A couple terrorist attacks and, boom!, our government drops a bomb called The Patriot Act that dwarfs any real weapon of mass destruction. Now, in the wake of yet another school shooting, we take a few steps backward, attempting to get to the “root” of the problem, while actually avoiding some of the real factors that influence these random acts of violent behavior: poor parenting, access to weapons and poor alcohol education (who in their youth ever learned about alcohol being a good thing in mediation?) And to top it all off, while advocating tattle-tales to prevent student alienation, we’re alienating other students!

I have no problem with proactive forms of discipline, but this is taking it too far.

I’ll give 50 bucks to whoever finds out where this whole idea originated.

Ben Minkus can be contacted at b.minkus@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...