Watch out, facebook

Type in www.iprocrastinate.com. Now figure out how to get past the page of floating red bubbles and twisting white letters: Welcome to the newest all-inclusive website geared for students. Combining elements from thefacebook, my space, blogging, gaming, and even video conferencing, the website is completely time-consuming, especially at a first-go.

Essentially a social-networking site for college students that combines elements from many popular sites, Iprocrastinate seems to be the start of a new type of entertainment. Started by Miami Merchants, students at UM and the creators of another endeavor, College Junktion, Iprocrastinate is the brain-child of President and CEO Jason Baptiste.

To start, registering as a user for iprocrastinate.com requires an “edu” extension website; the upside is that colleges aren’t limited, the website has immediate access for all students in all colleges. In addition, the site is free for all users and, up and running for less than a week, the site already hosts more than 25,000 users with an expectant 100,000 by Friday.

Teeming with features, students can spend hours perusing different functions. Using video conferencing, students can see who they are talking to and for that matter hear actual voices, adding to the idea of being able to do work and still talk on the phone, if one is that multi-talented. In addition, collegejunktion.com, which feeds off of Iprocrastinate, offers free eBay for anyone with an “edu” address, allowing students to sell stuff, and practically their lives, hassle-free.

As an expanding, developing site, Iprocrastinate.com has already undergone two facelifts and more user-friendly, visually appealing, changes. Rumor has it that Wednesday is the big day for the “real” new look.

One of a kind and definitely a wave of competition for other websites such as my space, blogs, and what seems to be a still slowly dying fascination of thefacebook.com, Iprocrastinate is raising the standard. Even Mark Zuckerburg, creator of thefacebook.com, seems to have taken enough interest to be listed as a “friend” on Iprocrastinate. Generally receiving wide recognition by press outlets, most recently by MTV News, the behind-scenes founders of Iprocrastinate seem to be doing their PR and research very well.

For now, keep iprocrastinate.com in the favorites list and check for constant face-lifts, additions and expansions. Signed with a new warehouse, there’s even a chance to win prizes, giveaways and for this week, an iPod shuffle.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...