Watch out, facebook

Type in www.iprocrastinate.com. Now figure out how to get past the page of floating red bubbles and twisting white letters: Welcome to the newest all-inclusive website geared for students. Combining elements from thefacebook, my space, blogging, gaming, and even video conferencing, the website is completely time-consuming, especially at a first-go.

Essentially a social-networking site for college students that combines elements from many popular sites, Iprocrastinate seems to be the start of a new type of entertainment. Started by Miami Merchants, students at UM and the creators of another endeavor, College Junktion, Iprocrastinate is the brain-child of President and CEO Jason Baptiste.

To start, registering as a user for iprocrastinate.com requires an “edu” extension website; the upside is that colleges aren’t limited, the website has immediate access for all students in all colleges. In addition, the site is free for all users and, up and running for less than a week, the site already hosts more than 25,000 users with an expectant 100,000 by Friday.

Teeming with features, students can spend hours perusing different functions. Using video conferencing, students can see who they are talking to and for that matter hear actual voices, adding to the idea of being able to do work and still talk on the phone, if one is that multi-talented. In addition, collegejunktion.com, which feeds off of Iprocrastinate, offers free eBay for anyone with an “edu” address, allowing students to sell stuff, and practically their lives, hassle-free.

As an expanding, developing site, Iprocrastinate.com has already undergone two facelifts and more user-friendly, visually appealing, changes. Rumor has it that Wednesday is the big day for the “real” new look.

One of a kind and definitely a wave of competition for other websites such as my space, blogs, and what seems to be a still slowly dying fascination of thefacebook.com, Iprocrastinate is raising the standard. Even Mark Zuckerburg, creator of thefacebook.com, seems to have taken enough interest to be listed as a “friend” on Iprocrastinate. Generally receiving wide recognition by press outlets, most recently by MTV News, the behind-scenes founders of Iprocrastinate seem to be doing their PR and research very well.

For now, keep iprocrastinate.com in the favorites list and check for constant face-lifts, additions and expansions. Signed with a new warehouse, there’s even a chance to win prizes, giveaways and for this week, an iPod shuffle.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

So what do UM Board of Trustee members think of what’s going on with the football program? Conversat ...

The University of Miami has dismissed wide receiver Jeff Thomas — widely recognized as the most gift ...

University of Miami sophomore receiver Jeff Thomas, widely considered the team’s most gifted player ...

Khris Bogle isn’t shy about his enthusiasm for the Alabama Crimson Tide after a recent visit to Tusc ...

Finally, the Eye on the U podcast comes to your ears after a Miami Hurricanes win. Miami went on the ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

Jaquan Johnson, Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine have forged an unbreakable bond at Miami and a ...

Canes and Explorers kick off tournament Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team is set to host its annual Miami Thanksgiving Classi ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...