Unrealistic expectations for football team

Kyle Wright threw two touchdown passes and passed for 159 yards in a 31-21 Miami victory. Granted, it was the Spring game, and the team was playing against itself, but wasn’t it fun to see Wright play well?

Miami’s football team has many question marks entering next season, and one of the biggest is at quarterback. It is too early to say that Wright answered those questions at the game, but he took a step in the right direction April 9.

Speaking of the right direction, much maligned wide receiver Ryan Moore, who had a disappointing sophomore campaign last season, caught one of Wright’s TD passes, a 23-yarder in the second quarter. That could be a successful combination this season. Also, Wright put up a big zero in one of the most important categories: turnovers.

Kirby Freeman, who is competing with Wright, struggled in the Spring game, completing just seven of 18 passes and throwing two interceptions. Basically, it looks like the job is Wright’s to lose.

However, even if the quarterback position works out, the Hurricanes have several other concerns. The defense underperformed at times last season, and losing standout cornerback Antrel Rolle will not help them any. The secondary, which is usually a Miami stronghold, looked very suspect last season. The linebackers, especially the middle linebackers, struggled tremendously. The saving grace with the defense is that it was young last season and remains fairly intact.

So the question becomes, what can Hurricane fans expect from UM in 2005? The answer, in my opinion, is the same thing as 2004. Miami is a solid team but I do not think it is a championship-caliber team. Unfortunately, at the University of Miami, you have to be a contender every year.

Miami is a regular season favorite, but it is not likely to be playing for a national title in Januaryh 2006. On paper, UM looks pretty similar to the team that it had last season, and that means it will likely be 9-2 or 8-3 again.

I know what you are thinking. Why am I being so negative? However, I don’t see it that way. On the contrary, I think 9-2 or 8-3 is a very good season. I am in the minority of people who understand it is unrealistic to be a contender every year, and that you are going to have some retooling or off years. I’ll take 9-2 or 8-3 next year, and if Miami gets in the BCS, everyone should be happy.

The unrealistic expectations of this team will make everyone think the season is a failure if Miami doesn’t contend for a national title. However, look at the roster, and the roster of the teams who get to play for the title, and you may realize something: Miami did not underachieve last year and they won’t underachieve in 2005 either. The Hurricanes were simply not capable of living up to expectations set way too high.

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...