UMNEWS – Sculpture garden: UM campus will feature works of art

Twelve sculptures, ranging from a five-foot Fletcher-Benton work to a 60-foot Mark di Suvero creation, will soon find permanent homes at the University of Miami. The sculptures will be placed outside at various locations around campus as part of a program to bring public art to campus.

“This represents a real departure because we’ve been a campus of nice trees and great lawns,” William Carlson, chair of the Department of Art and Art History, said. “This is a chance to put things that are really artistic opportunities in the path of the environment.”

Members of UM’s Building and Grounds Committee took a walking tour of the Coral Gables campus last semester to scout possible locations for the sculptures, and they identified 53 potential sites that could be improved with the presence of sculptures.

A George Sugarman sculpture will be placed near the quadrangle behind the Merrick Building. A William King work will go up near the Wellness Center. And the massive di Suvero piece, at more than 60 feet high, will be placed on the University Green in front of the Richter Library. The sculptures are gifts from UM donors, and more could follow.

“Our hope is that these sculptures will engage students and visitors,” said Brian Dursum, director of the Lowe Art Museum, who is playing a key role in the project. “I think people will look at them, they’ll wonder about them, perhaps even scratch their heads. They might walk up and look at them. It’s going to be engaging on a whole different level than trees, plants and flowers.”

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...