Provost candidates visiting campus

Three candidates are being interviewed for provost of the University, with the position expected to be announced next week.

The new provost will replace Dr. Luis Glaser, who announced last Fall that he would step down from his post as head of students’ academic affairs and chief budget officer after 18 years.

Two of the candidates have already visited campus, meeting with various administrators and student representatives. The third is scheduled to visit today and meet with students this afternoon.

Dr. Mark Thiemens, currently dean of the division of physical sciences at the University of California, San Diego, visited earlier this month, said Dr. Rene Sacasas, professor and chairman of the Department of Business Law. Dr. Margaret Crosbie-Burnett, chairperson for educational and psychological studies at the School of Education, confirmed the candidate. Both are members of the provost selection committee. Dr. Martin Moskovits, dean of the division of mathematical and physical sciences at the College of Letters and Sciences at the University of California, Santa Barbara, was on campus last week, Dr. Crosbie-Burnett said.

The third candidate’s name was not released to The Hurricane by press time Sunday. According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, his name would be released when he was in-flight to the University on Monday night.

Dr. Thiemens received his B.S. degree from UM in 1972 and his Ph.D. in chemical oceanography from Florida State University in 1977. He has been at his current post since Fall 2000.

Dr. Moskovits received his B.S. in physics and chemistry degree from the University of Toronto in 1965 and his Ph.D. in chemistry from the same institution in 1971. He has also been at his current post since Fall 2000.

According to Dr. Crosbie-Burnett, the University hired Korn/Ferry International headhunters before Winter Break to find candidates for the position. The provost selection committee, which comprises 16 deans and professors and one student representative, then sifted through r

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...