Faith Evans gets Five Stars

Faith Evans pulls together Motown sounds with 70s flare in her new CD The First Lady. She lays down the facts about her rehab days in “Again,” the first single from the CD. You won’t be disappointed with this well-produced album, which is Evans’ first album on Columbia since leaving Bad Boy Records.

Many know her as the widow of Biggie, but lets recognize-this woman has voice, a look and some personal power to overcome the battling years with death and drugs she has seen. The opening track, “Goin’ Out,” produced by the highly successful Neptunes, showcases their ability to create a track that’s moving, catchy and overall really good.

Watch out for the funk on “Mesmorized,” you’ll be grooving to the soulful sounds after you turn off the CD-a little Aretha maybe? This track pulls together old soul, a little gospel inspiration and the possibility for a strong live performance. The radio is constantly playing “Hope,” which features Twista. There’s a reason for it-the song is worth it. Evans closes her album with this popular single, pulling together the strong ballads, funk and R&B tracks that fill The First Lady album. This album gets a five out of five-star review. That’s right, all the stars. You can pop this CD in you car, roll down the windows, head to the beach to tan, club or simply to drive so you can to listen to Evans sooth your ears with her soulful voice. Get this CD.

Jake Stone can be contacted at j.stone@umiami.edu.

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...