Elsewhere – Profs across country protest new textbook editions

(U-WIRE) LA JOLLA, Calif.- Seven hundred math and physics professors from 150 universities nationwide have called on Thompson Learning to take steps to reduce the costs of textbooks for college students, the California Public Interest Research Group has announced.

As a result of the Affordable Textbook Campaign launched last year, 180 physics professors and more than 500 mathematics professors signed two letters to the CEO of the textbook publisher, Ronald Schlosser, stating that many of the company’s policies unfairly increase the price of textbooks for American students.

Specifically, the professors called on Thompson Learning to decrease the frequency of its updates for two books, Serway’s “Physics for Scientists and Engineers” (Sixth Edition) and Stewart’s “Calculus: Early Transcendentals” (Fifth Edition).

“Congress is doing an investigation right now,” Hsu stated in an email. “We are doing our own research that will come out next September. In the meantime, we are still discussing this issue with academic senates across the UC system and trying to convince them to adopt our resolutions.”

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...