Elsewhere – Profs across country protest new textbook editions

(U-WIRE) LA JOLLA, Calif.- Seven hundred math and physics professors from 150 universities nationwide have called on Thompson Learning to take steps to reduce the costs of textbooks for college students, the California Public Interest Research Group has announced.

As a result of the Affordable Textbook Campaign launched last year, 180 physics professors and more than 500 mathematics professors signed two letters to the CEO of the textbook publisher, Ronald Schlosser, stating that many of the company’s policies unfairly increase the price of textbooks for American students.

Specifically, the professors called on Thompson Learning to decrease the frequency of its updates for two books, Serway’s “Physics for Scientists and Engineers” (Sixth Edition) and Stewart’s “Calculus: Early Transcendentals” (Fifth Edition).

“Congress is doing an investigation right now,” Hsu stated in an email. “We are doing our own research that will come out next September. In the meantime, we are still discussing this issue with academic senates across the UC system and trying to convince them to adopt our resolutions.”

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...