Briefs – TENNIS * BASKETBALL

Men’s Tennis

After dropping all three doubles matches, the University of Miami men’s tennis team could not bounce back, falling in four of six singles matches in a 5-2 loss to No. 22 Florida State in UM’s regular-season finale Friday evening.

The Hurricanes (11-10, 2-8 ACC) fell early to the Seminoles (16-6, 7-2 ACC), as FSU swept all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead into singles.

In singles, FSU’s Chip Webb downed UM’s Vivek Subramanian, 6-3, 6-3, on the No. 6 court just before the Hurricanes’ Eric Hechtman fell to Ytai Abougzir, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 2 slot.

With the ‘Noles within one point of the match-clincher, UM’s Josh Cohen -who is ranked 120th nationally in singles-upset 32nd-ranked Mat Cloer, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 1 spot to give the Hurricanes their first point of the evening.

The Seminoles’ Sam Chang clinched the match on the No. 5 court, downing Ryan Waits, 7-5, 6-3.

The Hurricanes’ Tim Krebs earned Miami’s final point of the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, victory over Jonathas Sucupira at No. 3.

The Hurricanes will return to action Thursday when they head to Cary, N.C., to take part in the 2005 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships.

Men’s Basketball

University of Miami basketball Head Coach Frank Haith announced Friday that freshman guard Antoine Mayhand has decided to leave the team and will not rejoin the Hurricanes next season.

Mayhand has been granted his release from the University and is eligible to transfer to another institution.

“Antoine [Mayhand] has decided to transfer from the University of Miami and we have granted him his release,” said Haith. “Although we are disappointed in his decision, we appreciate all his effort this season and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Mayhand (6-2, 200) played in 20 games this season averaging 0.8 points and 0.5 rebounds in 5.7 minutes per game.

UM Rosenstiel School researchers monitor nutrient footprint from offshore aquaculture. ...

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

Junior offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson was among those players selected to the preseason watch ...

Jonathan Garvin and Shaq Quarterman were named to the watch list for another major defensive award T ...

A trio of Miami Hurricanes were named to the 2019 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Preseason Football T ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...