Briefs – TENNIS * BASKETBALL

Men’s Tennis

After dropping all three doubles matches, the University of Miami men’s tennis team could not bounce back, falling in four of six singles matches in a 5-2 loss to No. 22 Florida State in UM’s regular-season finale Friday evening.

The Hurricanes (11-10, 2-8 ACC) fell early to the Seminoles (16-6, 7-2 ACC), as FSU swept all three doubles matches to clinch the doubles point, taking a 1-0 lead into singles.

In singles, FSU’s Chip Webb downed UM’s Vivek Subramanian, 6-3, 6-3, on the No. 6 court just before the Hurricanes’ Eric Hechtman fell to Ytai Abougzir, 7-5, 6-1, in the No. 2 slot.

With the ‘Noles within one point of the match-clincher, UM’s Josh Cohen -who is ranked 120th nationally in singles-upset 32nd-ranked Mat Cloer, 6-4, 7-5, at the No. 1 spot to give the Hurricanes their first point of the evening.

The Seminoles’ Sam Chang clinched the match on the No. 5 court, downing Ryan Waits, 7-5, 6-3.

The Hurricanes’ Tim Krebs earned Miami’s final point of the match with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2, victory over Jonathas Sucupira at No. 3.

The Hurricanes will return to action Thursday when they head to Cary, N.C., to take part in the 2005 ACC Men’s Tennis Championships.

Men’s Basketball

University of Miami basketball Head Coach Frank Haith announced Friday that freshman guard Antoine Mayhand has decided to leave the team and will not rejoin the Hurricanes next season.

Mayhand has been granted his release from the University and is eligible to transfer to another institution.

“Antoine [Mayhand] has decided to transfer from the University of Miami and we have granted him his release,” said Haith. “Although we are disappointed in his decision, we appreciate all his effort this season and wish him the best of luck in the future.”

Mayhand (6-2, 200) played in 20 games this season averaging 0.8 points and 0.5 rebounds in 5.7 minutes per game.

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.