The time for action is now

Tragedy has struck the UM family again. Ashley Kelly died Tuesday night from injuries she sustained from being hit by a car while crossing U.S. 1 to go to T.G. I. Friday’s, something we have all done at some point during our time at UM. Our condolences go out to her friends and family.

Our hearts are also with Andrea Cinque, who also suffered injuries in the accident, and who must now deal with its aftermath.

Clearly, nothing can make up for the value of Ashley’s life and the potential she had to influence the world and those around her, but we can do something to preserve her memory and try prevent such a horrific accident from happening again.

At the student level, we should make an effort to be more conscientious of our actions and surroundings. The pedestrian right-of-way doesn’t matter if the driver isn’t paying attention. We would do well to remember this, for example, when crossing Ponce to the Metro station, since the “walk” sign takes a long time to come on and we all tend to jaywalk. Also, when driving around campus, be aware of your surroundings. It’s a college campus and a residential community, and there will inevitably be people walking around, even when it’s dark and late at night.

At the government level, however, Ashley’s life might have been saved if, in the past, the city or the county had taken the initiative to construct an overpass for this highly traveled path. The problem in the area is not new: Since 1990, three UM students have been hit crossing U.S. 1.

On Wednesday, the Student Government Senate proposed the “Ashley Kelly Resolution” in support of the construction of a pedestrian bridge, similar to the one near Douglas Road and the Village of Merrick Park, to make crossing Ponce de Leon Boulevard and U.S. 1 safer. Their support represents the concern expressed by the UM student body about the importance of such a construction. We hope that local and University officials will hear the students’ calls for change and respond, as they should, by providing a safe way to cross the six lanes of U.S. 1.

In fact, in the Nov. 20, 1990, issue of The Hurricane following the death of freshman Eric Adams as he was crossing U.S. 1, the editorial staff challenged officials to “take whatever steps are in order to secure the safety of UM and Coral Gables residents.” Fifteen years later, it’s clear that this challenge was not fully met. Sure, left-turn lights were added and some pedestrian signals have timers, but any student can attest to the fact that U.S. 1 is still a dangerous roadway to cross, especially at night.

After losing yet another life, will the local government, with the help of the University, finally seriously take into consideration the addition of a pedestrian bridge? How many more lives must be lost before drastic action is taken?

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...