QuantUM’s Cuckoo a success

By Bari Lieberman
EDGE Writer

For years English classes across the nation have been forcing their students to analyze Ken Kesey’s novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, but QuantUM Entertainment brings the novel to life for their theatrical rendition of Dale Wasserman’s play for University of Miami students and community.
The play remains true to the novel and takes place in a mental institution during the late 1950s when electroshock therapy and lobotomies served as constant threats to patients. The simple setting, revolving solely around the ward’s lounge, allows the audience to focus on the interpersonal relations and developments between the social outcasts known as the patients.
The play begins with Randle McMurphy, played by Nicholas Correnti, being the newly admitted patient who transfers from the Pendleton Work Farm. Correnti combined the perfect mix of a bad-boy demeanor with psychopathic tendencies to create a believable leader and source of empowerment for the residing patients.
Throughout the course of McMurphy’s stay, he serves as the martyr for the other patients and motivates them enough to break free from the restrictions set forth by the controlling nurse played by Lindsay Childs.
Graduate student Mario Matus Villa plays the half-Indian narrator, Chief Bromden, who maintains the fa

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...