QuantUM’s Cuckoo a success

By Bari Lieberman
EDGE Writer

For years English classes across the nation have been forcing their students to analyze Ken Kesey’s novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, but QuantUM Entertainment brings the novel to life for their theatrical rendition of Dale Wasserman’s play for University of Miami students and community.
The play remains true to the novel and takes place in a mental institution during the late 1950s when electroshock therapy and lobotomies served as constant threats to patients. The simple setting, revolving solely around the ward’s lounge, allows the audience to focus on the interpersonal relations and developments between the social outcasts known as the patients.
The play begins with Randle McMurphy, played by Nicholas Correnti, being the newly admitted patient who transfers from the Pendleton Work Farm. Correnti combined the perfect mix of a bad-boy demeanor with psychopathic tendencies to create a believable leader and source of empowerment for the residing patients.
Throughout the course of McMurphy’s stay, he serves as the martyr for the other patients and motivates them enough to break free from the restrictions set forth by the controlling nurse played by Lindsay Childs.
Graduate student Mario Matus Villa plays the half-Indian narrator, Chief Bromden, who maintains the fa

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...