LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Loss of friend reminds us all to cherish today

Ashley Kelly has now become “that girl who died” from “that accident near Friday’s,” thanks to our University gossip mill. I wanted to write something for the student body so they know she was so much more than a news story.

Ashley was the first person I met here at UM. Having seen my Dave Matthews Band T-shirt, she came up to me and we started talking about our shared love for music. This was the first conversation I had at college, and Ashley soon became my first friend here, as well. In addition to her roommate and best friend, Andrea Cinque, Christina Hajj and I became her “Friends #1 and #2.” This may sound “elementary” of us, but anyone who knew her knew how loyal Ashley was. And any freshman just entering college knows how important loyalty is in such a momentous, and intimidating, step in life.

Ashley was such a refreshing person to be around. Her stories captivated me. Her blue eyes intrigued me. Her spirit invigorated me. Her attitude towards life inspired me.

Ashley was a seize-the-day type of girl, as anyone could see in the lyrics in her away messages, her lively personality and the dreams she held for her future.

I remember at the beginning of this semester, Ashley and I had a few talks about life. We would just chill in her room, listen to DMB, and talk. I remember her talking about her uncertainty in wanting to stay at UM for the next three years. The semester went on and we talked occasionally. The last time I talked to her, we were walking to class. She was in one of her usual peppy moods and she had her hair in two braided pigtails. She was telling me how happy she was to move in with Andrea, Christina and Kate next fall. And although I can’t see her anymore, it’s comforting to know she was happy when she passed away.

I wanted to write about Ashley’s life in order to give her the appropriate recognition she deserves. We owe it to her and to ourselves to relax a bit and appreciate life.

It’s amazing to me that in this high-paced life, everything can be changed forever in a matter of seconds. Nothing I could write will bring Ashley back, but I will do whatever I can to celebrate her life. I wholeheartedly agree something must be done about the traffic situation at that intersection, but for now, let’s just take the time to remember Ashley for who she was: She loved her family, her friends here and back home, school, the sunset, music, partying, our school’s arboretum, making other people feel good, making a difference for the world and having a good time.

I know this sounds clich

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...