Jay Mohr Drops the mic

Actor, producer, host, writer and stand-up comic, Jay Mohr is professionally experienced in the world of entertainment. Just as funny as when you saw him on Saturday Night Live or watched him host the now defunct Last Comic Standing, Mohr is unfortunately retiring from stand-up comedy.

“I retired from stand-up comedy because you lose the passion for it,” Mohr says. “I have always told myself that I would never want to do it for the money, but because it was fun.”

Although Mohr is stepping off the stage, he is now focusing on his acting career, the part of his career that he enjoys the most. “You get to play make believe. It’s like getting to be a child [when you act],” he says. Having roles in films such as Jerry Maguire, Picture Perfect and Pluto Nash, among others, Mohr has established himself in the world of the big screen with some hefty roles.

“I really enjoyed playing the role in Playing By Heart, which was a young man dying of AIDS with his mother played by Ellen Burstyn. As a comedian you don’t get the chance to play such grave roles.” Leaving his natural comedic impulse behind, Mohr says that Burstyn was one of the best co-stars he’s had. “She took me to a place I didn’t know. I was dumbfounded by the level that she was on; she made me so much better [as an actor].”

Whether it’s Mohr’s roles or his pure talent, he continually adds to his already stellar r

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...