Jay Mohr Drops the mic

Actor, producer, host, writer and stand-up comic, Jay Mohr is professionally experienced in the world of entertainment. Just as funny as when you saw him on Saturday Night Live or watched him host the now defunct Last Comic Standing, Mohr is unfortunately retiring from stand-up comedy.

“I retired from stand-up comedy because you lose the passion for it,” Mohr says. “I have always told myself that I would never want to do it for the money, but because it was fun.”

Although Mohr is stepping off the stage, he is now focusing on his acting career, the part of his career that he enjoys the most. “You get to play make believe. It’s like getting to be a child [when you act],” he says. Having roles in films such as Jerry Maguire, Picture Perfect and Pluto Nash, among others, Mohr has established himself in the world of the big screen with some hefty roles.

“I really enjoyed playing the role in Playing By Heart, which was a young man dying of AIDS with his mother played by Ellen Burstyn. As a comedian you don’t get the chance to play such grave roles.” Leaving his natural comedic impulse behind, Mohr says that Burstyn was one of the best co-stars he’s had. “She took me to a place I didn’t know. I was dumbfounded by the level that she was on; she made me so much better [as an actor].”

Whether it’s Mohr’s roles or his pure talent, he continually adds to his already stellar r

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...