Harris moves up track and field ladder

Tim Harris is only a freshman but already a leader on the Miami men’s track team. Harris, who finished third in the 800m at the Duke Invitational last week, fielded questions from our Chris Hamilton.

TH: You won the 800 meters at the U.S. Junior Championships last year. What was that like?

Harris: It was great. I went through a lot of things in high school and winning U.S. Juniors was the icing on the cake for my high school career.

TH: Karron Clement (Florida) just broke Michael Johnson’s 10-year record in the 400-meter Indoors. What is one record you would like to break?

Harris: I’m not really focused on records right now. I just want to establish myself as a good runner in college.

TH: You’re a freshman this year. Do the older guys ever tease you or give you hard time?

Harris: No, we have a pretty young team. Being a real track guy coming in here, coach really uses me as a leader of the team [laughs]. I’m not the guy that they push around. I’m usually the guy everyone looks up to.

TH: Are track stars just born fast or is there a way to increase your speed?

Harris: Coming from Miami, I think we all have a little speed. But I played football in high school and I think the weight training got me stronger and to the level that I’m at now.

TH: Do you have an embarrassing moment that’s happened on the track?

Harris: My sophomore year I jumped the gun in a race and false started at regionals. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if it was a sprint, but it was the mile.

TH: Nearly half of the track team is made up of football players. What is it like having them around?

Harris: To me, it’s nothing different because I used to be one of those guys in high school. We all know each other and it’s not about football players trying to take over anything.

TH: What did you think of the Marian Jones steroid controversy?

Harris: It’s all a lie. I don’t think she took steroids.

TH: At what point will you say “It’s time for me to go pro?”

Harris: [Laughs] Anytime in my college career where I feel like I’ve accomplished the things I want to accomplish and feel that I’m at the top of my game.

TH: Devin Hester vs. Roscoe Parrish in the 100m. Who do you like?

Harris: Well, they would both smoke me [laughs]. But I would have to say Hester because it’s just crazy how he run away from people.

TH: Which do you like better: relays or individuals?

Harris: Individuals. In high school I was the guy everyone counted on. In the state championship, I got the stick in seventh place and had to run like crazy to catch up. I ended up wasting all my energy before the 800m.

TH: What do you need to improve on most?

Harris: I think my sprints. If I get that down, I’ll be one of the top guys professionally. Period.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...