Harris moves up track and field ladder

Tim Harris is only a freshman but already a leader on the Miami men’s track team. Harris, who finished third in the 800m at the Duke Invitational last week, fielded questions from our Chris Hamilton.

TH: You won the 800 meters at the U.S. Junior Championships last year. What was that like?

Harris: It was great. I went through a lot of things in high school and winning U.S. Juniors was the icing on the cake for my high school career.

TH: Karron Clement (Florida) just broke Michael Johnson’s 10-year record in the 400-meter Indoors. What is one record you would like to break?

Harris: I’m not really focused on records right now. I just want to establish myself as a good runner in college.

TH: You’re a freshman this year. Do the older guys ever tease you or give you hard time?

Harris: No, we have a pretty young team. Being a real track guy coming in here, coach really uses me as a leader of the team [laughs]. I’m not the guy that they push around. I’m usually the guy everyone looks up to.

TH: Are track stars just born fast or is there a way to increase your speed?

Harris: Coming from Miami, I think we all have a little speed. But I played football in high school and I think the weight training got me stronger and to the level that I’m at now.

TH: Do you have an embarrassing moment that’s happened on the track?

Harris: My sophomore year I jumped the gun in a race and false started at regionals. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if it was a sprint, but it was the mile.

TH: Nearly half of the track team is made up of football players. What is it like having them around?

Harris: To me, it’s nothing different because I used to be one of those guys in high school. We all know each other and it’s not about football players trying to take over anything.

TH: What did you think of the Marian Jones steroid controversy?

Harris: It’s all a lie. I don’t think she took steroids.

TH: At what point will you say “It’s time for me to go pro?”

Harris: [Laughs] Anytime in my college career where I feel like I’ve accomplished the things I want to accomplish and feel that I’m at the top of my game.

TH: Devin Hester vs. Roscoe Parrish in the 100m. Who do you like?

Harris: Well, they would both smoke me [laughs]. But I would have to say Hester because it’s just crazy how he run away from people.

TH: Which do you like better: relays or individuals?

Harris: Individuals. In high school I was the guy everyone counted on. In the state championship, I got the stick in seventh place and had to run like crazy to catch up. I ended up wasting all my energy before the 800m.

TH: What do you need to improve on most?

Harris: I think my sprints. If I get that down, I’ll be one of the top guys professionally. Period.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

So what do UM Board of Trustee members think of what’s going on with the football program? Conversat ...

The University of Miami has dismissed wide receiver Jeff Thomas — widely recognized as the most gift ...

University of Miami sophomore receiver Jeff Thomas, widely considered the team’s most gifted player ...

Khris Bogle isn’t shy about his enthusiasm for the Alabama Crimson Tide after a recent visit to Tusc ...

Finally, the Eye on the U podcast comes to your ears after a Miami Hurricanes win. Miami went on the ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

Jaquan Johnson, Michael Jackson and Sheldrick Redwine have forged an unbreakable bond at Miami and a ...

Canes and Explorers kick off tournament Thursday at 2:30 p.m. ET/11:30 a.m. PT. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team is set to host its annual Miami Thanksgiving Classi ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...