Elsewhere – Video game major at Columbia College gets OK

(U-WIRE) CHICAGO-The long-planned and debated video game major was unanimously approved at the April 8 Columbia College council meeting.

During the meeting, Doreen Bartoni, dean of the School of Media Arts, along with Associate Dean Debra Schneiger, discussed the process that went into getting this major off the ground.

Bartoni said the Columbia 2010 plan was a deciding factor in her push to bring the major to Columbia. Other council members agreed that the major is proof that the college is becoming more innovative.

“I very much support this proposal,” said Keith Kostecka, president of the Organized Faculty of Columbia College. “We are at the cusp.”

The Chicago Tribune, as well as other national and international media, cited the college as one of many schools to work gaming into their curricula. The increased interest in college gaming programs could be the result of a thriving video game industry, which generated more than $7 billion in revenue last year.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...