Vote for Felix Pardo as city commissioner

The city commission of Coral Gables has stood in the way of UM projects on many occasions. Most notably it held up the University Village project for years, and limited the amount of stories that could be built on our much needed parking garages. Today we have the opportunity to exercise our displeasure over the commission’s continued battling with the University’s affairs.

There are two members of the city commission up for re-election, as well as the Mayor. The Mayor and commissioner Ralph Cabrera are running unopposed, but commissioner Maria Anderson is in a heated race with local businessman Felix Pardo. Commissioner Anderson’s term of office has been marked with utter irresponsibility to the city and University’s welfare time and time again.

Her decisions have at times been so liberal, she makes Barbara Boxer look like the patron saint of the Republican Party. Her desire to be a friend to everyone has too many times come at the direct expense of Coral Gables taxpayers, prime example the notorious vote to annex a disjointed section of residencies at a high cost to existing taxpayers. So today, go to the polls, and get rid of the drain on our community and University by voting for Felix Pardo.

***

Speaking of crazy irresponsible liberal ideas: Anyone who thinks socialized medicine would be a good idea should take a trip to the DMV down the road on Ponce sometime. I waited over three hours just to get a new license there last week. The place was a monument to inefficiency and bureaucracy, none of the workers seemed at all concerned with the speed at which they worked or the fact that there was a waiting line that would rival opening night of the next Star Wars movie.

It’s one thing waiting for so long to get a new drivers license, but try going through a similar system at the E.R. when you have a dislocated shoulder and all you want is to be drugged and go to sleep to stop the pain.

***

Cardinal Bernard Law was one of the central figures in the Catholic church’s celebration of the Pope’s life and the Papal Mass. For those of you who may have forgotten, Cardinal Law was the former Archbishop of Boston who knowingly shifted priests accused of sexual abuse around from church to church to quash the allegations.

If this is any indication of the judgment the powers of the Catholic church will use when selecting the next pope, I foresee many more columns being devoted to issues of the Catholic church.

Don Donelson can be contacted at d.donelson@umiami.edu

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...