Vote for Felix Pardo as city commissioner

The city commission of Coral Gables has stood in the way of UM projects on many occasions. Most notably it held up the University Village project for years, and limited the amount of stories that could be built on our much needed parking garages. Today we have the opportunity to exercise our displeasure over the commission’s continued battling with the University’s affairs.

There are two members of the city commission up for re-election, as well as the Mayor. The Mayor and commissioner Ralph Cabrera are running unopposed, but commissioner Maria Anderson is in a heated race with local businessman Felix Pardo. Commissioner Anderson’s term of office has been marked with utter irresponsibility to the city and University’s welfare time and time again.

Her decisions have at times been so liberal, she makes Barbara Boxer look like the patron saint of the Republican Party. Her desire to be a friend to everyone has too many times come at the direct expense of Coral Gables taxpayers, prime example the notorious vote to annex a disjointed section of residencies at a high cost to existing taxpayers. So today, go to the polls, and get rid of the drain on our community and University by voting for Felix Pardo.

***

Speaking of crazy irresponsible liberal ideas: Anyone who thinks socialized medicine would be a good idea should take a trip to the DMV down the road on Ponce sometime. I waited over three hours just to get a new license there last week. The place was a monument to inefficiency and bureaucracy, none of the workers seemed at all concerned with the speed at which they worked or the fact that there was a waiting line that would rival opening night of the next Star Wars movie.

It’s one thing waiting for so long to get a new drivers license, but try going through a similar system at the E.R. when you have a dislocated shoulder and all you want is to be drugged and go to sleep to stop the pain.

***

Cardinal Bernard Law was one of the central figures in the Catholic church’s celebration of the Pope’s life and the Papal Mass. For those of you who may have forgotten, Cardinal Law was the former Archbishop of Boston who knowingly shifted priests accused of sexual abuse around from church to church to quash the allegations.

If this is any indication of the judgment the powers of the Catholic church will use when selecting the next pope, I foresee many more columns being devoted to issues of the Catholic church.

Don Donelson can be contacted at d.donelson@umiami.edu

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...