Vote for Felix Pardo as city commissioner

The city commission of Coral Gables has stood in the way of UM projects on many occasions. Most notably it held up the University Village project for years, and limited the amount of stories that could be built on our much needed parking garages. Today we have the opportunity to exercise our displeasure over the commission’s continued battling with the University’s affairs.

There are two members of the city commission up for re-election, as well as the Mayor. The Mayor and commissioner Ralph Cabrera are running unopposed, but commissioner Maria Anderson is in a heated race with local businessman Felix Pardo. Commissioner Anderson’s term of office has been marked with utter irresponsibility to the city and University’s welfare time and time again.

Her decisions have at times been so liberal, she makes Barbara Boxer look like the patron saint of the Republican Party. Her desire to be a friend to everyone has too many times come at the direct expense of Coral Gables taxpayers, prime example the notorious vote to annex a disjointed section of residencies at a high cost to existing taxpayers. So today, go to the polls, and get rid of the drain on our community and University by voting for Felix Pardo.

***

Speaking of crazy irresponsible liberal ideas: Anyone who thinks socialized medicine would be a good idea should take a trip to the DMV down the road on Ponce sometime. I waited over three hours just to get a new license there last week. The place was a monument to inefficiency and bureaucracy, none of the workers seemed at all concerned with the speed at which they worked or the fact that there was a waiting line that would rival opening night of the next Star Wars movie.

It’s one thing waiting for so long to get a new drivers license, but try going through a similar system at the E.R. when you have a dislocated shoulder and all you want is to be drugged and go to sleep to stop the pain.

***

Cardinal Bernard Law was one of the central figures in the Catholic church’s celebration of the Pope’s life and the Papal Mass. For those of you who may have forgotten, Cardinal Law was the former Archbishop of Boston who knowingly shifted priests accused of sexual abuse around from church to church to quash the allegations.

If this is any indication of the judgment the powers of the Catholic church will use when selecting the next pope, I foresee many more columns being devoted to issues of the Catholic church.

Don Donelson can be contacted at d.donelson@umiami.edu

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...