UMNEWS – The Hurricane takes a prize at journalism contest

UM took home a number of awards in the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Mark of Excellence Awards given Saturday, April 9 at the SPJ Regional Conference held in Charleston, S.C. The Hurricane received Honorable Mention in the Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper category. The winner in the category was the Central Florida Future, the student newspaper from the University of Central Florida.

At the same conference, UMTV won in the TV In-Depth Reporting category for its “Coral Gables: Changing with the Times” segment, and UMTV’s Robert Kaple won in the TV General News Reporting category for his “John Kerry Visits U of M” segment.

In the Online General News Reporting category, Jennifer Gilliam and her class won for their project, “A Student’s View of the Miami Presidential Debate,” which can be viewed at www.viscom.miami.edu/debate.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...