UMNEWS – The Hurricane takes a prize at journalism contest

UM took home a number of awards in the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Mark of Excellence Awards given Saturday, April 9 at the SPJ Regional Conference held in Charleston, S.C. The Hurricane received Honorable Mention in the Best All-Around Non-Daily Student Newspaper category. The winner in the category was the Central Florida Future, the student newspaper from the University of Central Florida.

At the same conference, UMTV won in the TV In-Depth Reporting category for its “Coral Gables: Changing with the Times” segment, and UMTV’s Robert Kaple won in the TV General News Reporting category for his “John Kerry Visits U of M” segment.

In the Online General News Reporting category, Jennifer Gilliam and her class won for their project, “A Student’s View of the Miami Presidential Debate,” which can be viewed at www.viscom.miami.edu/debate.

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol