Men’s tennis splits two tough home weekend matches

As the men’s tennis team made its last home stand over the weekend, both matches turned out to be unforgettable.

In their first match Friday night versus N.C. State, the Wolfpack, who took a dominant lead over the ‘Canes after winning two of three matches, also claimed the doubles point.

In singles play the men came back motivated. Miami’s first singles point of the night came from junior John Hoyes in a straight-set win 6-1, 6-2 at No. 4 singles. The Wolfpack responded with Andre Iriatre, who downed Vivek Subramanian 6-3, 6-3 at No. 5 singles, leaving the Wolfpack within a point of victory-but that point never came. The 95th-ranked junior Tim Krebs defeated Conor Taylor at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Josh Cohen and junior Eric Hechtman clinched the victory by winning match points at exactly the same time, 6-2, 6-4 and 6-3, 6-4, at No.1 and No. 3 singles, respectively.

Sunday’s match against Duke marked the final home contest for the Hurricanes this season and for Luis Manrique, the lone senior.

“I thought of my final match last night,” Manrique said. “I left the team at one point because I wasn’t enjoying tennis but thanks to [Head Coach] Mario [Rincon] I came back and I am really glad I did.”

In doubles the men started well but lost to the fifth-ranked Blue Devils in two of three matches. Down in doubles, the ‘Canes needed to elevate their singles game to come back. Hechtman downed his counterpart, sophomore Peter Rodrigues, 6-4, 6-4.

Manrique was unable to pull through with a win, uncharacteristically dropping his No. 6 singles match in straight sets 0-6, 3-6.

Krebs gave the Hurricanes a fighting chance but was unable to beat junior Jonathan Stokke at No. 2 singles. Cohen completely outmaneuvered junior Ludovic Walter, who is ranked third nationally.

“It was an amazing feeling to finish my last home match and beat the No.3 player in country,” Cohen said.

Miami will now begin to prepare for the ACC Championships, beginning April 21, but first the men will finish their spring season against in-state rival Florida State on Friday in Tallahassee.

“It’s just satisfying for me to see such improvement in my team and see them play their best,” Rincon said. “If we play like this we have a great chance of doing well in the ACC Championship.”

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...