Members of UM community honor Pope John Paul II

While hundreds of thousands gathered around the Vatican last week to honor the late Pope John Paul II, students, faculty and Coral Gables citizens came together at the St. Augustine Catholic Church, the University’s Catholic Ministry, for a funeral service on Thursday.

“The mood of the mass was joyful,” Adam McMahon, director of the campus ministry, said. “Because he led his life to the fullest, and we lived in privileged times to have lived with Pope John Paul II.”

Carey McIntyre, a junior who attended the mass, agreed.

“It was a celebration of his passing on,” he said. “For the Catholic community it’s a celebration because we know where he’s going. We know he’s going to heaven.”

The mass, attended by about 200 people, consisted of a regular mass, readings of scriptures that were relevant to the Pope, and a reflection of his life.

“[Father Bernard Kirlin] emphasized how he was a servant of God, how the role of the Pope is to be a servant of the servants of God,” McMahon said. “When you’re in the presence of the Pope and he’s looking at you, you feel as if you’re the only person in the world to him.”

Since the Pope’s death on April 2, millions of people have visited Rome, waiting in lines for hours to pay their last respects. In communities worldwide, and at UM, Catholics and non-Catholics alike have felt the impact of his death and have gathered to remember and honor his life.

“I’m a new convert to the Catholic faith and Pope John Paul II was one of the biggest reasons I became a Catholic,” McIntyre said. “He was a great humanitarian, a generally good person.”

John T. Fitzgerald, associate professor in the department of Religious Studies, felt that the Pope’s influence stretched beyond the spiritual.

“His leadership in confronting communism in Poland, leadership in moving eastern European countries toward equal rights in a democratic process left a profound impact in Europe and will have consequences for a very long time,” Fitzgerald said.

“While I’m not religious, the Pope’s death was a major loss to humanity as a whole because he did defend certain ideals, like equality, but not necessarily through communism,” Andy Senda, senior, said.

In addition to the funeral mass, St. Augustine set up a table in the UC Breezeway on Tuesday to honor the life of the Pope.

“It was nice to see how many people stopped by, of all religions, just to acknowledge his life,” McMahon said.

Natalia Maldonado can be contacted at n.maldonado@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...