Hechtman talks trash, tennis, life after college

Junior UM tennis player Eric Hechtman is dominating both on and off the court. Our Chris Hamilton served up some questions to the former Big East All-Tournament player.

The Hurricane: How big was the win over N.C. State last Friday?
Eric Hechtman: We were really down because we’ve had a lot of 4-3 losses in the past, and it was such a good feeling to win 4-3. I’ve never seen our coach so happy.

TH: You are a local guy. How important was it to stay in Miami and play for UM?
EH: It was the main reason I came here. Local fan base and I have the family here. Nothing better than playing in the 3-0-5.

TH: Why don’t guys grunt like women do when they hit the ball?
EH: It’s kind of like a girl thing. Josh [Cohen] hits like a girl [laughs]. I’m just joking. There’s really no need to grunt. When someone shoots a free throw they don’t go “uggghhhh.”

TH: You finished in the top one percent of your class in high school. How important is it to be a student-athlete?
EH: Probably 99 percent of students don’t go pro, right? You have to make some money somehow. Academics are just another step towards getting a job.

TH: Since you are a smart guy, which is a better feeling: acing a serve or acing a test?
EH: Acing a serve, for sure. Everyone has aced a test, but not everyone can hit an ace on the tennis court.

TH: How fast do you serve?
EH: I don’t know [laughs]. They would have to get a radar gun out here for me to know.

TH: Was there ever a time when you thought about quitting tennis?
EH: No. It’s just part of my life. It’s going to be different once I’m done but I’ve just been used to it ever since I was eight.

TH: Does any trash talking go on during the matches?
EH: Oh yeah, tons of trash talking. It’s part of college tennis; it’s part of sports. You have to get into your opponents head.

TH: Do you ever heckle from the stands then too?
EH: Last year at Wake Forest a couple guys from their tennis team and a few from their football team were throwing woodchips at Josh. We were really jawing back and forth with them. Not every match is like that, but I’d say 90 percent are.

TH: Have you ever played an opponent you knew you had no chance of beating?
EH: No. I wouldn’t step on the court if I had no chance. I might as well just get some extra sleep.

TH: Do you ever feel overshadowed by the success of the women’s team?
EH: No. It’s good for them that they are doing well. I wish them the best and hopefully we’ll start doing as good as they are.

TH: What are you goals for the rest of the season?
EH: Somehow make it to NCAAs. I think it’s possible. We’ve had some close losses; it’s time we get some close wins.

Chris Hamilton can be contacted at c.hamilton2@umiami.edu.

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...