Elsewhere – Nebraska U. student to compete in National Rock Paper Scissors tournament

U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.-University of Nebraska student Ryan Gartner thought it was a big joke when he received a letter in the mail indicating he had been chosen to attend the National Collegiate Rock Paper Scissors Invitational Tournament in South Beach, Fla.

“I didn’t think it was serious,” said the freshman Spanish major. “I had to call to make sure it wasn’t a joke. I didn’t think it was real.”

Gartner is one of 100 college students selected in a drawing to participate in the April 16 Rock, Paper, Scissors Competition sponsored by Nebraska Bookstore and GotUsed, a network of college book stores, said Chris Rodgers, regional manager of Nebraska Book Company.

Gartner signed up for a chance at the national competition during Big Red Welcome in August. There, he saw a big boxing ring poster for the Rock Paper Scissors tournament on display.

The winner of the national competition scores $5,000 and a ticket to the world championship in Calgary, Canada.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...