Elsewhere – Nebraska U. student to compete in National Rock Paper Scissors tournament

U-WIRE) LINCOLN, Neb.-University of Nebraska student Ryan Gartner thought it was a big joke when he received a letter in the mail indicating he had been chosen to attend the National Collegiate Rock Paper Scissors Invitational Tournament in South Beach, Fla.

“I didn’t think it was serious,” said the freshman Spanish major. “I had to call to make sure it wasn’t a joke. I didn’t think it was real.”

Gartner is one of 100 college students selected in a drawing to participate in the April 16 Rock, Paper, Scissors Competition sponsored by Nebraska Bookstore and GotUsed, a network of college book stores, said Chris Rodgers, regional manager of Nebraska Book Company.

Gartner signed up for a chance at the national competition during Big Red Welcome in August. There, he saw a big boxing ring poster for the Rock Paper Scissors tournament on display.

The winner of the national competition scores $5,000 and a ticket to the world championship in Calgary, Canada.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...