Baseball pounds Virginia Tech for road series sweep

The Hurricanes snapped out of their minor slump in grand fashion this weekend, as they took care of business on their road trip to Virginia Tech with a sweep.

On Friday night, starting pitcher Cesar Carrillo moved to 8-0 this season and 20-0 in his career as the Hurricanes won the opener 7-3. Carrillo struck out six Hokies in six innings of work and extended his scoreless inning streak to 20.1 as he did not allow a run. He lowered his ERA to a staggering 0.86 and Miami improved to 29-0 when Carrillo is on the mound.

At the plate, the ‘Canes pounded out 16 hits, which included a 4-for-5 performance from Walter Diaz, and five other Hurricanes had multiple-hit nights.

Danny Figueroa was ejected in the second inning for arguing a call at second base after he was called out on a stolen base attempt.

Saturday afternoon saw Miami equal its highest offensive output of the year as the Hurricanes downed the Hokies 20-5. The series was shifted from the campus of Virginia Tech to a minor league ballpark about 45 minutes away. Danny Valencia didn’t mind the switch at all, as he finished with five hits and eight RBI, including two triples.

Brendan Katin went 3-for-6 with two homeruns and six RBI as the Hurricanes racked up 17 hits on the afternoon and benefited from four Hokie errors.

Miami starter Brandon Camardese was perfect into the fifth inning and ended up pitching five innings, giving up five runs on seven hits.

On Sunday afternoon, Virginia Tech gave Miami all it could handle in the series finale. UM scored two runs in the first inning, but the Hokies came back with a three-run homerun off of Hurricanes starter Ricky Orta to take a 4-2 lead.

The Hurricanes climbed back into the ballgame with a string of hits and took the lead on a Ryan Braun single past third base to take a 5-4 lead. Miami pitcher Chris Perez gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth to tie the score at 5-5, but the ‘Canes scored four runs in the top of the ninth to take a 9-5 lead. Perez stayed on for the bottom half of the ninth to close out the game.

The Hurricanes return to action next weekend when they travel to Chapel Hill to face a top 10 team: the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. All three games can be heard on 90.5 WVUM.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu..

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...