Baseball pounds Virginia Tech for road series sweep

The Hurricanes snapped out of their minor slump in grand fashion this weekend, as they took care of business on their road trip to Virginia Tech with a sweep.

On Friday night, starting pitcher Cesar Carrillo moved to 8-0 this season and 20-0 in his career as the Hurricanes won the opener 7-3. Carrillo struck out six Hokies in six innings of work and extended his scoreless inning streak to 20.1 as he did not allow a run. He lowered his ERA to a staggering 0.86 and Miami improved to 29-0 when Carrillo is on the mound.

At the plate, the ‘Canes pounded out 16 hits, which included a 4-for-5 performance from Walter Diaz, and five other Hurricanes had multiple-hit nights.

Danny Figueroa was ejected in the second inning for arguing a call at second base after he was called out on a stolen base attempt.

Saturday afternoon saw Miami equal its highest offensive output of the year as the Hurricanes downed the Hokies 20-5. The series was shifted from the campus of Virginia Tech to a minor league ballpark about 45 minutes away. Danny Valencia didn’t mind the switch at all, as he finished with five hits and eight RBI, including two triples.

Brendan Katin went 3-for-6 with two homeruns and six RBI as the Hurricanes racked up 17 hits on the afternoon and benefited from four Hokie errors.

Miami starter Brandon Camardese was perfect into the fifth inning and ended up pitching five innings, giving up five runs on seven hits.

On Sunday afternoon, Virginia Tech gave Miami all it could handle in the series finale. UM scored two runs in the first inning, but the Hokies came back with a three-run homerun off of Hurricanes starter Ricky Orta to take a 4-2 lead.

The Hurricanes climbed back into the ballgame with a string of hits and took the lead on a Ryan Braun single past third base to take a 5-4 lead. Miami pitcher Chris Perez gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth to tie the score at 5-5, but the ‘Canes scored four runs in the top of the ninth to take a 9-5 lead. Perez stayed on for the bottom half of the ninth to close out the game.

The Hurricanes return to action next weekend when they travel to Chapel Hill to face a top 10 team: the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. All three games can be heard on 90.5 WVUM.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu..

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...