Baseball pounds Virginia Tech for road series sweep

The Hurricanes snapped out of their minor slump in grand fashion this weekend, as they took care of business on their road trip to Virginia Tech with a sweep.

On Friday night, starting pitcher Cesar Carrillo moved to 8-0 this season and 20-0 in his career as the Hurricanes won the opener 7-3. Carrillo struck out six Hokies in six innings of work and extended his scoreless inning streak to 20.1 as he did not allow a run. He lowered his ERA to a staggering 0.86 and Miami improved to 29-0 when Carrillo is on the mound.

At the plate, the ‘Canes pounded out 16 hits, which included a 4-for-5 performance from Walter Diaz, and five other Hurricanes had multiple-hit nights.

Danny Figueroa was ejected in the second inning for arguing a call at second base after he was called out on a stolen base attempt.

Saturday afternoon saw Miami equal its highest offensive output of the year as the Hurricanes downed the Hokies 20-5. The series was shifted from the campus of Virginia Tech to a minor league ballpark about 45 minutes away. Danny Valencia didn’t mind the switch at all, as he finished with five hits and eight RBI, including two triples.

Brendan Katin went 3-for-6 with two homeruns and six RBI as the Hurricanes racked up 17 hits on the afternoon and benefited from four Hokie errors.

Miami starter Brandon Camardese was perfect into the fifth inning and ended up pitching five innings, giving up five runs on seven hits.

On Sunday afternoon, Virginia Tech gave Miami all it could handle in the series finale. UM scored two runs in the first inning, but the Hokies came back with a three-run homerun off of Hurricanes starter Ricky Orta to take a 4-2 lead.

The Hurricanes climbed back into the ballgame with a string of hits and took the lead on a Ryan Braun single past third base to take a 5-4 lead. Miami pitcher Chris Perez gave up a run in the bottom of the eighth to tie the score at 5-5, but the ‘Canes scored four runs in the top of the ninth to take a 9-5 lead. Perez stayed on for the bottom half of the ninth to close out the game.

The Hurricanes return to action next weekend when they travel to Chapel Hill to face a top 10 team: the University of North Carolina Tar Heels. All three games can be heard on 90.5 WVUM.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu..

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...