An anoying lack of common courtesy

The act of treating others with respect and consideration is not that hard. However, many people on this campus seem incapable of such kindness. Whether someone fails to acknowledge another person during conversation, closes a door on someone or makes inappropriate public displays of affection, all instances portray a lack of common courtesy.

Beginning from when a child can comprehend language, the terms “please” and “thank you” are instilled in their mind. However, it seems that people feel these words are no long necessary with age. For example, when I am working, people come to the desk with a rude, demanding and demeaning attitude. Do they forget that we are people, too? How can they have the audacity to ask a favor in such a rude way? Sometimes I just want to stare at them blankly until they show some form of politeness. They might be surprised to know that they would receive better service if they attached a “please” to the beginning of their request, and a “thank you” after the request was satisfied.

Moreover, unlike most of the male population, I am a firm believer in chivalry. Traditionally, it is courteous to hold a door open for a woman. However, this applies to men and women. It is not right for anyone to knowingly close the door on someone. A man could hold the door open for a man and a woman could hold the door open for a man or a woman. Gender roles are insignificant. It is simply being courteous to everyone. Consequently, it is rude to allow the elevator doors to close when a person is obviously heading towards the elevator. It would be polite to thank the person for holding the door. A simple “thanks” may incline the person to act courteous again.

Finally, PDAs-and I am not talking about palm pilots. People should realize that certain public displays of affection are inappropriate for the entire public to see.

Personally, I would rather not see people “making out” right outside of class or in the UC. It is simply inappropriate and you should get a room. I am not one to suggest the prohibition of public displays of affection. Holding hands and hugging are perfectly appropriate. You just have to know the time and a place to do such things.

Ultimately, the world would be a better place if its inhabitants were simply nicer. The more courteous a person is, the more courteous another person will want to be.

Justin Diamond can be contacted at j.diamond2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...