Receivers expecting huge year from deep group

With the annual Spring CanesFest coming up on Saturday at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, the football team still is loaded with uncertainty. Several key positions, including quarterback, are up for grabs, but one position Head Coach Larry Coker does not need to worry about is wide receiver.

The Hurricanes are loaded with wide outs this year, with Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Akieem Jolla and tight end Greg Olsen returning and the addition of red shirt freshman Khalil Jones into the fold. Jones was particularly impressive during Tuesday’s practice, as he made a couple of nice downfield grabs.

The receiving corps willbe anchored by Leggett, who is sidelined for the spring with an ankle injury. Moore’s resurgence from an injury-rid dled sophomore year is vital, as well as continued growth from Moss, Jenkins and Jolla.

“I like this group,” Coker said. “I like Khalil. I wish we had Lance Leggett,

obviously, healthy, but he is going to be outstanding. I have been very impressed with Ryan Moore and Sinorice and Darnell Jenkins and all those guys with the way they’ve stepped up.”

Coach Curtis Johnson said the veteran receivers have come a long way from their freshmen campaigns.

“There’s nothing like playing time,” Johnson said. “The more you play; the more you practice, the better you’re going to get. Those guys are very attentive. They’re always around, watching film, and they always do the little things.”

While the quarterback competition between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, which Wright still holds a slight edge in, will garner most of the headlines this spring, the receivers want the college football world to know they plan on putting up robust

numbers in 2005.

“I think we have one of the deepest corps,” Moss said. “Some of the young guys are coming along real well…it’s looking pretty good.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...