Receivers expecting huge year from deep group

With the annual Spring CanesFest coming up on Saturday at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, the football team still is loaded with uncertainty. Several key positions, including quarterback, are up for grabs, but one position Head Coach Larry Coker does not need to worry about is wide receiver.

The Hurricanes are loaded with wide outs this year, with Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Akieem Jolla and tight end Greg Olsen returning and the addition of red shirt freshman Khalil Jones into the fold. Jones was particularly impressive during Tuesday’s practice, as he made a couple of nice downfield grabs.

The receiving corps willbe anchored by Leggett, who is sidelined for the spring with an ankle injury. Moore’s resurgence from an injury-rid dled sophomore year is vital, as well as continued growth from Moss, Jenkins and Jolla.

“I like this group,” Coker said. “I like Khalil. I wish we had Lance Leggett,

obviously, healthy, but he is going to be outstanding. I have been very impressed with Ryan Moore and Sinorice and Darnell Jenkins and all those guys with the way they’ve stepped up.”

Coach Curtis Johnson said the veteran receivers have come a long way from their freshmen campaigns.

“There’s nothing like playing time,” Johnson said. “The more you play; the more you practice, the better you’re going to get. Those guys are very attentive. They’re always around, watching film, and they always do the little things.”

While the quarterback competition between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, which Wright still holds a slight edge in, will garner most of the headlines this spring, the receivers want the college football world to know they plan on putting up robust

numbers in 2005.

“I think we have one of the deepest corps,” Moss said. “Some of the young guys are coming along real well…it’s looking pretty good.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...