Receivers expecting huge year from deep group

With the annual Spring CanesFest coming up on Saturday at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, the football team still is loaded with uncertainty. Several key positions, including quarterback, are up for grabs, but one position Head Coach Larry Coker does not need to worry about is wide receiver.

The Hurricanes are loaded with wide outs this year, with Lance Leggett, Ryan Moore, Sinorice Moss, Darnell Jenkins, Akieem Jolla and tight end Greg Olsen returning and the addition of red shirt freshman Khalil Jones into the fold. Jones was particularly impressive during Tuesday’s practice, as he made a couple of nice downfield grabs.

The receiving corps willbe anchored by Leggett, who is sidelined for the spring with an ankle injury. Moore’s resurgence from an injury-rid dled sophomore year is vital, as well as continued growth from Moss, Jenkins and Jolla.

“I like this group,” Coker said. “I like Khalil. I wish we had Lance Leggett,

obviously, healthy, but he is going to be outstanding. I have been very impressed with Ryan Moore and Sinorice and Darnell Jenkins and all those guys with the way they’ve stepped up.”

Coach Curtis Johnson said the veteran receivers have come a long way from their freshmen campaigns.

“There’s nothing like playing time,” Johnson said. “The more you play; the more you practice, the better you’re going to get. Those guys are very attentive. They’re always around, watching film, and they always do the little things.”

While the quarterback competition between Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman, which Wright still holds a slight edge in, will garner most of the headlines this spring, the receivers want the college football world to know they plan on putting up robust

numbers in 2005.

“I think we have one of the deepest corps,” Moss said. “Some of the young guys are coming along real well…it’s looking pretty good.”

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu.

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...