Find happiness even without Mr. Right

DearV,

As another great year comes to a close, I couldn’t wish for anything more. Well, maybe one thing. A boyfriend! I thought my problems would have lessened after I moved to Miami, but meeting quality guys is harder that you think. V,I’ve tried it all: the clubs, the house parties, the “friends of friends”-but nothing! Is finding an intelligent, funny, active and cute guy asking too much? I just don’t know why I haven’t met Mr. Right. Not to sound conceited or anything, but all those qualities I just asked about-I’ve got ’em! So please, V, help me out!

Dear Reader,

I have spent more time dwelling on this than you can imagine. Everybody wants someone to love and everyone wants to feel loved, especially in a society that promotes coupledom as the status quo. It’s difficult to see your friends swing in and out relationships, while you have yet to see any swing your way. One can only wait patiently for so long, especially if you and 300 close friends can’t seem to find a single thing wrong with you!

The Miami area sees little value in a “long term” anything. It’s no surprise that your friends at different schools ask you about the parties and the nightlife here because Miami is glamorized as the land of the beautiful, hard-partying youth. The stereotype toys with Miami boys because they not only feel compelled to live up to it but also to associate with anything that identifies with it. Anybody with an ounce of sense knows that living solely for the stereotype only results in disappointment, but if you ignore this image, you’re relegated to the land of the unpopular and weird. People are looking to ride the wave of the next hot thing or person. The importance of quality over quantity is negligible.

College guys are notorious for not wanting to settle too quickly or be tied down. It’s not that they have commitment issues, it’s that tomorrow’s weather might be hotter than today’s. Many people have this mentality, especially when enveloped in a “throwaway” culture that doesn’t care much for permanence.

Pitying yourself because you don’t have a boyfriend only robs you of the happiness you gain from the non-romantic areas of your life. You might be ecstatic about doing well on a test but depressed over your lack of a boyfriend. Why do you want to torture yourself, especially when you know that you have so much to offer? Take this precious time for yourself, since you can afford to be

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...