Schiavo death a black eye for generation

On Thursday, the decade-long battle over the life of Terri Schiavo ended. The real concern of this case, however, was not the intricacies of the legal aspects or of the political jockeying; it was the moral and ethical ramifications that came with it.

Without a doubt, Schiavo’s life should’ve been preserved. Opponents clamored this was about quality of life-that couldn’t be farther from the truth. At its very core, this case was about one side thinking it’s OK for humans to pass judgment and speculate about the will of other humans to live or die. It was about legitimizing the practice of playing God over the free will of an innocent person, and taking away the most precious right any human possesses-the right to life.

This was a tragedy ripe with hypocrisy. It turned into a civil proceeding attempting to determine the true intent of Schiavo, live or die? Different forms of this case take place on the criminal side of the court as well; they are called capital punishment cases.

How horribly hypocritical is it that in order to execute a deranged murderer, we must have zero reasonable doubt about their intent and actions in their crime; but to effectively execute Terri Schiavo we needed only the shaky hearsay testimony of a few people who knew her.

If that same evidence were applied in a criminal case, there would be no case-there would only be a laugh and a dismissal from the judge.

Many Americans complained that the government, specifically the U.S. Congress and Florida Governor Jeb Bush, far overstepped their bounds and attempted to circumvent the justice system. People, we were talking about saving someone’s life! I find it incredibly disturbing that the Governor of our state can save the life of a convicted murderer with the stroke of his pen, but was powerless to save the life of an innocent, suffering woman.

Michael Schiavo ended this in a despicable manner. Refusing to allow Terri to be buried by her blood relatives is bad, speculating that he may conceal the location of her grave from them is unforgivable. The shameful nature of this case could take pages and pages of paper for me to get it all down, but the quick moral of the story is we cannot play God. If there is no clear intent, life should be preserved at all costs.

Terri’s parents now can begin to move on, and they should move on with their heads held high, knowing they did more than most daughters could have hoped for. The following quote is for the Schindlers, who are heroes in my book.

“…[and if I fail]; “I have fought the good fight, I have stayed the course, I have kept the faith.'”

Rest peacefully, Terri Schiavo.

Don Donelson can be contacted at d.donelson@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...