Dreyer, Velazquez earn Diver of the Year honors

University of Miami divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez were named the women and men’s Atlantic Coast Conference Divers of the Year, respectively, on Wednesday.

These two student-athletes became the first-ever recipients selected for this coveted award at Miami in their ACC debut.

Now they are preparing for the next step in a successful season: the national championships.

The U.S. Open National Championships are another animal totally detached from the regular season and even NCAA competition itself, as it plays more towards national loyalties.

According to Randy Abelman, head coach of the diving team, many of his excelling athletes will have different priorities in the next few weeks concerning diving.

Dreyer, a freshman who also garnered All-American honorable mention honors for the three-meter and 10-meter platform boards, is in South Africa at the moment vying for a spot on her country’s national team.

At the conference championships in Atlanta, Ga., Dreyer was awarded All-Conference honors for her first-place finish on the one-meter board and second-place finish on the three-meter board. On the one-meter board she set a record with a score of 320.75.

The senior Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, will be competing this week in Mexico to secure a spot on its national team. As a member of the UM diving team, he earned the sixth All-American recognition of his career at the NCAA Championships. There he finished third in the nation with a score of 543.50 on the 10-meter platform.

Ableman didn’t see any reason why Velazquez wouldn’t be as successful as he was.

“I was expecting him to have a meet like that,” Ableman said. “After all of the practice and repetitions, he was bound to break out at nationals.”

The men’s and women’s NCAA Championships for swimming and diving were held at the University of Minnesota’s campus in Minneapolis, where Velazquez was one of the 27 ACC swimmers and divers representing the nine league schools.

DREYER
– Hometown: Port Elizabeth, South Africa

– Lists the one- and three-meter board as her favorites

– Reached the three-meter semi-finals at the 2004 Summer Olympic Games in Athens, Greece

– Won first place in the Canadian Senior Nationals on the one-meter board

VELAZQUEZ
– Hometown: Mexico City, Mexico

– Major: International Finance and Marketing

– Earned his third, fourth and fifth All-America honors at the 2004 NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships

– Selected the Big East’s Most Outstanding Diver in 2002

Last season, Velazquez earned his third, fourth and fifth All-American honors at the 2004 NCAA Championships.

Abelman feels that as a senior it was important for Velazquez to come out on top.

“I want to make sure that when my guys and girls look back there aren’t any regrets,” he said.

The Hall of Fame diving coach said that the inaugural season in the ACC was a success, mainly based on the high standard held at UM, which has produced such Olympic legends as Greg Louganis.

“I think Miami has a strong tradition, and we continue and strive to maintain that tradition,” he said.

The only diver to go to the U.S. Open National Championships and vie for a spot on the national team is Heather Bounds. Her best performance this season was on the Feb. 19 when she amassed a point total of 4423.75 at the ACC championships.

Larry Nolan can be contacted at l.nolan@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...