Don’t hate a person, hate an opinion

I am going to state my opinion here, and if you don’t like it you can a) hate me for it, or b) rebut it with something that has nothing to do with that I was originally saying.

It seems to me that people have been slowly losing their capacity to think and reason. They act on whims and without analyzing the situation, doing whatever is necessary to prove they’re right.

Example: Suppose you and your friend have been buddies for years; you agree on practically everything. Then one day, you two have a disagreement. Suddenly the years of friendship go down the drain, and instead of disliking the opinion of the person, you dislike them. You insult them for having that opinion and call them an ass.

You need to analyze the situation. Does someone’s opinion totally make up who that person is? Even if the opinion is of importance, is one opinion worth throwing away a relationship with that person? No, it’s not. Instead make amends and if need be, agree to disagree, but do not hate the person just because they believe in something that you feel is wrong.

Some of you are going to give me some ridiculous pseudo-intellectual dribble to the effect of: “But opinions are a reflection of who a person is!” No. They are opinions, they are not behavior; you can bash my opinions all you want, disagree with them and say they’re incorrect, but you have no right to bash who I am because we disagree. With that response, you’re saying that because you disagree with me on a certain subject it completely makes me an ass, or ignorant?

Also, if you call someone out on their behavior, telling them you disagree with a certain aspect of how they have been acting, chances are they’ll justify their position with points that have nothing to do with what you originally spoke about. Suppose you tell a friend you feel he is being arrogant, he’ll only respond with tales of how he gives to charity, helps the homeless, saves kittens and gives enough blood to make the Red Cross blush. Funny thing is, he’s still arrogant.

If someone disagrees with you, think about it and don’t let one disagreement lodge a spike between you; if someone calls you out on your behavior, instead of automatically trying to justify your position, be open minded and think about what they said. Let us, as a whole, think more, and appreciate the diversity of thought, rather than become defensive and hateful.

Jovanni Bello can be contacted at j.bello2@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...