Discover the world in One Week

Discover cultures, new languages and diversity. The 38th annual International Week (I-Week), sponsored by the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO), kicked off last Friday with opening ceremonies. This year’s theme, “Discover,” will showcase different cultures from all over the globe.

“We wanted to have a broader theme,” Gayle Mendoza, I-Week chair, said. “Discover culture and traditions. All the hard work will pay off-I expect everything to go extremely well.”

The UC Patio was center stage for the opening ceremonies that began with Asia Day and One Night of Asia, with displays by the various international organizations, including the Korean Student Association and the Indian Student Association (ISA).

“It helps students see other parts of the world,” Aditi Kothekar, junior and ISA member, said. “This is accessible to them, and it brings students together.”

The mood was festive and energetic as students walked through the patio, full of flags representing various countries and people dancing to upbeat music. Those in attendance were treated to Indian food, handcrafts from Thailand and Korea, and even palm reading.

“This was my first time attending I-Week at UM because I just transferred,” Vicky Rodriguez, junior, said. “I really like that the school has something like this because I’ve never seen it before. I especially like that the days were organized around themes like Asia Day.”

Mr. and Ms. International, Gianluca Matulli and Shana Valliani, also joined opening ceremonies.

“I wanted to represent my background and meet people from different cultures,” Valliani said. “Events like this are important so we can be aware of other cultures and learn about them.”

Students who attend all events can enter a raffle with a grand prize of a 300-dollar travel voucher for anywhere in the world.

Despite the heat, the turnout of students on Friday was high.

“Every year it gets bigger and better,” Ciara Mohamed, COISO president, said. “I’m impressed and excited-it can only get better.”

I-Week will conclude on Saturday with the COISO Feast of Nations banquet. Tickets can be purchased at any of the I-Week events.

I-Week Schedule:
Monday
Middle Eastern Day
& Night

Tuesday
Africa Day & Night

Wednesday
European Day

Thursday
Hometown U.S.A. Day
& Pacific Night

Friday
Latin Day
& Caribbean Night

Saturday
COISO Banquet, 7 p.m. Wyndham Miami International Airport Hotel

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...