Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD * TENNIS

Women’s Track & Field

University of Miami senior Kim Barrett won the shot put and set a new school record with a toss of 17.20 meters (56-05.25) at the Rice Bayou Classic in Houston, Texas.

Barrett’s throw is the best in the nation this season and is an NCAA regional qualifier. Competing in the shot put for the first time this outdoor season after capturing the NCAA Indoor title earlier last month, Barrett dominated the field on Saturday winning by nearly three feet.

Miami senior Adrienne Moss placed third in the shot put with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 14.91 meters (48-11.00). Not to be outdone, freshman Khadija Talley placed fourth in the discus with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 47.43 meters (155-07.00).

Also competing this weekend was junior Melanie Schultz at the USF Invitational in Tampa, Fla. Schultz won the 1,500-meters with at time of 4:30.

The Hurricane women return at the Texas Relays, April 6 to 9, in Austin, Texas.

Women’s Tennis

The 11th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated in Atlantic Coast Conference action and extended their winning streak to 13 matches when they won four of six singles matches to top No. 10 Duke, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.

With the win the Hurricanes improve to 16-2 overall and 7-0 in the ACC, while Duke falls to 11-5, 2-1 ACC.

The Blue Devils won the doubles point after taking two out of the three doubles matches. Miami’s fourth ranked tandem of senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada defeated Duke’s Tory Zawacki/ Kristin Cargill pair 8-1 to claim Miami’s only doubles win.

Bradley, the country’s No. 1 ranked player, downed No. 39 Katie Blaszak 6-1, 6-1 from the No. 1 singles spot, to tie the match score at one-all.

Banada followed suit with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory over Zawacki at the No. 6 position to put the Hurricanes up 2-1.

Duke claimed wins at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions to take a 3-2 lead before junior Melissa Applebaum topped Saras Arasu 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 to tie the score 3-all.

The match came down to the No. 4 slot where freshman Patricia Starzyk, down in the first set, battled back to win in a tie breaker 7-6 (8-6) and the second set, 6-4, to top Celia Deltour and clinch the win for the Hurricanes.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...