Briefs – TRACK AND FIELD * TENNIS

Women’s Track & Field

University of Miami senior Kim Barrett won the shot put and set a new school record with a toss of 17.20 meters (56-05.25) at the Rice Bayou Classic in Houston, Texas.

Barrett’s throw is the best in the nation this season and is an NCAA regional qualifier. Competing in the shot put for the first time this outdoor season after capturing the NCAA Indoor title earlier last month, Barrett dominated the field on Saturday winning by nearly three feet.

Miami senior Adrienne Moss placed third in the shot put with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 14.91 meters (48-11.00). Not to be outdone, freshman Khadija Talley placed fourth in the discus with an NCAA regional qualifying mark of 47.43 meters (155-07.00).

Also competing this weekend was junior Melanie Schultz at the USF Invitational in Tampa, Fla. Schultz won the 1,500-meters with at time of 4:30.

The Hurricane women return at the Texas Relays, April 6 to 9, in Austin, Texas.

Women’s Tennis

The 11th-ranked University of Miami women’s tennis team remained undefeated in Atlantic Coast Conference action and extended their winning streak to 13 matches when they won four of six singles matches to top No. 10 Duke, 4-3, Saturday afternoon at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in Durham, N.C.

With the win the Hurricanes improve to 16-2 overall and 7-0 in the ACC, while Duke falls to 11-5, 2-1 ACC.

The Blue Devils won the doubles point after taking two out of the three doubles matches. Miami’s fourth ranked tandem of senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada defeated Duke’s Tory Zawacki/ Kristin Cargill pair 8-1 to claim Miami’s only doubles win.

Bradley, the country’s No. 1 ranked player, downed No. 39 Katie Blaszak 6-1, 6-1 from the No. 1 singles spot, to tie the match score at one-all.

Banada followed suit with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory over Zawacki at the No. 6 position to put the Hurricanes up 2-1.

Duke claimed wins at the No. 5 and No. 2 positions to take a 3-2 lead before junior Melissa Applebaum topped Saras Arasu 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3 to tie the score 3-all.

The match came down to the No. 4 slot where freshman Patricia Starzyk, down in the first set, battled back to win in a tie breaker 7-6 (8-6) and the second set, 6-4, to top Celia Deltour and clinch the win for the Hurricanes.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...