Socially fashionable at Funkshion

For anyone who likes to keep up with the local fashion scene, Funkshion, Miami’s very own fashion week that occurs in the fall and spring, is the event to attend. Original, creative and used as a platform for emerging and established designers, Funkshion has evolved into a successful event that hasn’t failed to establish Miami as hotspot for fashion.

Coinciding with Winter Music Conference, M3 and other Miami events, Funkshion didn’t fall short, even with so many competitive heavyweights. Capturing the attention of talent, celebrities and local Miami fashion lovers, this year’s Funkshion was unlike any other showcase of runway shows, held specifically in a pod on the beach-yes, the actual beach. Combined with the free samples of Caron, Phyto and usual sponsor Perrier, fashion mavens, models and press were buzzing before the doors even gave access to the all white runway showroom.

As fashion goes, one season ahead of the current, the varied array of showcased designers debuted their fall collections. Presenting designers from almost every fashion style, the four-day event provided at least one statement for every flavor, specifically night three which featured a mix of emerging and established designers.

Rebecca Minkoff, whose designs are fun and flirty yet fantastically classy, personally presented her fall collection which included classic pantsuits, sleek dresses and unique and stylish jackets.

Emerging designer Indashio presented his collection entitled “Rags to Riches,” using tracks by Jay-Z like “It’s A Hard Knock Life” and Gwen Stefani’s “Rich Girl.” The choice of music not only reflected the creations on the runway, they also demonstrated the fusion of music and fashion that Funkshion has boasted about since the very first show in 2002.

Continuing the fashion expos

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...