Socially fashionable at Funkshion

For anyone who likes to keep up with the local fashion scene, Funkshion, Miami’s very own fashion week that occurs in the fall and spring, is the event to attend. Original, creative and used as a platform for emerging and established designers, Funkshion has evolved into a successful event that hasn’t failed to establish Miami as hotspot for fashion.

Coinciding with Winter Music Conference, M3 and other Miami events, Funkshion didn’t fall short, even with so many competitive heavyweights. Capturing the attention of talent, celebrities and local Miami fashion lovers, this year’s Funkshion was unlike any other showcase of runway shows, held specifically in a pod on the beach-yes, the actual beach. Combined with the free samples of Caron, Phyto and usual sponsor Perrier, fashion mavens, models and press were buzzing before the doors even gave access to the all white runway showroom.

As fashion goes, one season ahead of the current, the varied array of showcased designers debuted their fall collections. Presenting designers from almost every fashion style, the four-day event provided at least one statement for every flavor, specifically night three which featured a mix of emerging and established designers.

Rebecca Minkoff, whose designs are fun and flirty yet fantastically classy, personally presented her fall collection which included classic pantsuits, sleek dresses and unique and stylish jackets.

Emerging designer Indashio presented his collection entitled “Rags to Riches,” using tracks by Jay-Z like “It’s A Hard Knock Life” and Gwen Stefani’s “Rich Girl.” The choice of music not only reflected the creations on the runway, they also demonstrated the fusion of music and fashion that Funkshion has boasted about since the very first show in 2002.

Continuing the fashion expos

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...