Pick up the paper every Friday to read the Public Safety call log and learn ways to protect yourself and your belongings.
Safety Tip of the Week: Here are some safety tips from the Department of Public Safety.
Theft of portable personal property accounts for most of the crime that takes place on campus, and yet it is one of the easiest crimes to prevent. Items such as textbooks, laptop computers, cell phones, PDAs, personal music players, backpacks and purses are extremely vulnerable to theft, especially when left unattended.
* Never leave portable property unattended; you are just asking to have it stolen.
* Invest in portable locking devices such as a laptop computer lock (available at Public Safety from the Crime Prevention Practitioner).
* Have someone you know watch the property while you are away.
* Never leave your car, apartment or dorm room unlocked, even while you are there.
* Write your name on textbooks where it is visible without opening the book.
* Have laptops, portable music players and other small items engraved with identifying information; use some special number or word, not personal information that could be used to steal your identity.
* For more information on protecting your property, visit the Public Safety web site at www.miami.edu/publicsafety. Click on the “Prevention tips and info” link.
If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.
WEDNESDAY MARCH 23
11:13 a.m. 1306 Stanford Dr.
WEDNESDAY MARCH 24
10:30 a.m. 1500 Albenga Ave.
6:37 p.m. 5250 University Dr. Theft
SUNDAY MARCH 27
4:04 p.m. 1211 Dickinson Dr. Theft
6:58 p.m. 1231 Dickinson Dr. Theft
TUESDAY MARCH 29
3:41 p.m. 1211 Dickinson Dr. Theft