On greed, hypocrisy in the Schiavo case

If there’s one good thing that’s come out of the Terri Schiavo mess, it’s the opportunity to direct scathing words at two spiteful groups in one column-sweet! Here goes…

First of all, the media-Schiavo-gate has once again reminded me why I stopped watching cable news.The media has leapt on Terri Schiavo like a starving wolf on a lone sheep, at the expense of more pressing issues (for instance, the second anniversary of the start of the Iraq War came and went with barely a mention). Every hour of every day, it’s the same goddamn images of protestors, politicians and of course the poor woman caught in the middle of it all (and then of course, there’s the same goddamned pundits spouting the same goddamned drivel. I could go off on them, but unfortunately, I’m not allowed to take up the entire opinion section. So pundits, consider yourselves lucky-you’ve been spared…for now). Watching day-by-day news coverage of Terri Schiavo feels very much like Bill Murray did in Groundhog Day (minus the comedy). I want some real news, Ted (I won’t even bother asking Rupert-I’ve given up on his station’s ability to provide me with real news long, long ago). Well, at least people aren’t even paying attention to Michael Jackson for now…my faith in humanity may as of yet be renewed.

Second of all, there’s the politicians. Just when I thought the incompetent sleazebags on Capitol Hill couldn’t stoop any lower, I see Tom DeLay throwing out some very loaded statements, pushing a bill that’s a slap in the face to the checks-and-balances system engraved in stone (well, metaphorically speaking) in our Constitution, and circulating memos among Republicans in Congress, showing intent to seek political gain from a family’s personal tragedy (and I quote: “the pro-life base will be excited…”). And then it turns out DeLay pulled the plug on his own father back in 1988! Of course, DeLay has been putting on damage control, claiming a feeding tube is different from the ventilator he yanked his father from. Well, Tom, I have some things to say to you: Under Florida Law, a feeding tube is considered life support-putting it in the same category as the ventilator you pulled your dad from. Stop beating around the bush (I swear, no pun intended)-you’re guilty of committing the same “act of barbarism” that you accuse Michael Schiavo and the courts of doing. Tom, your attempt (as well as the Bushies’) to politicize this case is absolutely despicable at best, but such savage hypocrisy in the name of political gain would most likely land you in the same hell you and your cronies claim to believe in.

And as for the protestors…the Schindlers themselves told you to go home…maybe you should listen to them.

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...