Elsewhere – Activist slams gender-neutral bathrooms at NYU

(U-WIRE) NEW YORK- Speaking at the Kimmel Center at New York University on Monday night about her experiences as a transgender in the workplace, transgender rights activist Margaret Stumpp said she opposes gender-neutral bathrooms such as those proposed by a committee of the university senate.

Stumpp, the chief information officer at a subsidiary company of Prudential Financial, was invited to speak by the Office of LGBT Student Services. In February 2002, she was the first of the company’s 60,000 employees to openly get a sex-change operation.

While NYU is still debating whether or not to install gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students, Stumpp said she opposes them because they call attention to transgender people.

“You’re in a stall, the door is closed, so there’s no monkey business,” she said. “Transgendered people want to blend in and not be read.”

Stumpp discussed her transition at work and the challenges she faced, ranging from co-workers’ stares to the end of high-paying job offers, during the talk, entitled “Transgender People in the Workplace: Breaking Through the Glass Ceiling from Above.”

The senate will vote in April on whether to include gender-neutral bathrooms in new university buildings.

“It’s silly not to pass [the gender-neutral bathroom resolution],” said Pauline Park, co-chair of the New York Association for Gender Rights Advocacy. “I have the impression that people are freaking out when they shouldn’t be.”

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...