Briefs – SWIMMING AND DIVING * VOLLEYBALL

Swimming & Diving

University of Miami divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez became the first-ever recipients of the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year award when the conference announced the men’s and women’s ACC swimming and diving honors Wednesday. All awards were determined by a vote of the league’s head coaches.

Dreyer, a Port Elizabeth, South Africa, native, placed sixth on the one-meter board at the NCAA Championship to earn first-team All-America honors. The freshman also garnered honorable mention All-America accolades on the three-meter and 10-meter platform boards. Dreyer was awarded All-Conference honors for her first-place finish on the one-meter board and second-place finish on the three-meter board. She was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having set a new ACC Championship record with a score of 320.75 on the one-meter board.

Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, Mexico, was named a first-team All-American after placing third on the 10-meter platform board and fifth on the three-meter board at the NCAA Championship. He also earned honorable mention All-America honors for his performance on the one-meter board. Velazquez, a senior, was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having placed first on both the one and three-meter boards at the ACC Championship.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball squad took part in a Spring match against Northwestern at the South Florida Spring Tournament Saturday, March 26.

The Hurricanes and the Wildcats performed drills in the morning before playing a three-game match in the afternoon.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch was pleased with the team’s performance in their second match of the spring, “Our passing is progressing. We are definitely getting stronger and improving in all areas.”

Lantagne Welch was impressed with the play of redshirt sophomore Frannie Savage, sophomore Ann Gallo and junior Katalin Kozak.

“Frannie Savage had a great day playing middle the entire time. She is getting to be really consistent and is cutting down on her errors. She is becoming a very smart player,” Lantagne Welch said.

The Hurricanes continue spring practice and will next face Barry, last season’s NCAA Division II Champions, Florida International and Florida Atlantic in the Knight Sports Complex on April 9.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...