Briefs – SWIMMING AND DIVING * VOLLEYBALL

Swimming & Diving

University of Miami divers Jenna Dreyer and Miguel Velazquez became the first-ever recipients of the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year award when the conference announced the men’s and women’s ACC swimming and diving honors Wednesday. All awards were determined by a vote of the league’s head coaches.

Dreyer, a Port Elizabeth, South Africa, native, placed sixth on the one-meter board at the NCAA Championship to earn first-team All-America honors. The freshman also garnered honorable mention All-America accolades on the three-meter and 10-meter platform boards. Dreyer was awarded All-Conference honors for her first-place finish on the one-meter board and second-place finish on the three-meter board. She was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having set a new ACC Championship record with a score of 320.75 on the one-meter board.

Velazquez, a native of Mexico City, Mexico, was named a first-team All-American after placing third on the 10-meter platform board and fifth on the three-meter board at the NCAA Championship. He also earned honorable mention All-America honors for his performance on the one-meter board. Velazquez, a senior, was named the ACC Diver of the Meet, having placed first on both the one and three-meter boards at the ACC Championship.

Volleyball

The University of Miami volleyball squad took part in a Spring match against Northwestern at the South Florida Spring Tournament Saturday, March 26.

The Hurricanes and the Wildcats performed drills in the morning before playing a three-game match in the afternoon.

Head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch was pleased with the team’s performance in their second match of the spring, “Our passing is progressing. We are definitely getting stronger and improving in all areas.”

Lantagne Welch was impressed with the play of redshirt sophomore Frannie Savage, sophomore Ann Gallo and junior Katalin Kozak.

“Frannie Savage had a great day playing middle the entire time. She is getting to be really consistent and is cutting down on her errors. She is becoming a very smart player,” Lantagne Welch said.

The Hurricanes continue spring practice and will next face Barry, last season’s NCAA Division II Champions, Florida International and Florida Atlantic in the Knight Sports Complex on April 9.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...