Tennis keeps on rolling

7-0 wins were a theme last weeked for the women’s tennis team, starting with a sweep past the University of Maryland Terrapins on Sunday.

This has been the story for the ‘Canes since they began their new journey in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The women now hold a 5-0 record in ACC play and have posted nine sweeps this season, eight of them coming at home.

Standouts throughout the season have been junior Melissa Applebaum, senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada. Applebaum, who finished this weekend with one of her best showings of the season, began doubles play alongside senior Staci Stevens. With immense drive, the duo defeated their opponents 8-0. Equally impressive was the fourth ranked tandem of Bradley and Banada, who defeated their opponents 8-3 to clinch the doubles point.

To finish the job, the women came out fiercely in singles play. Bradley got the singles started with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory at the No. 1 slot. Applebaum also sent her opponent home in straight sets, defeating Marianne Baker 6-3, 6-1. Banada, to finish the afternoon, won 7-6, 6-2, closing the book on the Terrapins.

Last Friday’s match also proved satisfying for the women, as the Hurricanes beat Virginia in another 7-0 victory. Beginning with a clinch in doubles, the ‘Canes took two of those three matches. Bradley again showed her undeniable command in the sport, finishing her singles match with a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Applebaum gave Miami’s team just what it needed with a 6-1, 6-4 win in singles play.

It is no wonder why Miami’s No. 1 star performer, Bradley, was recently acknowledged as the ACC Performer of the Week for the second time this season. Bradley, who has been ranked No.1 since March 8 in the Intercollegiate Athletic Association (ITA) rankings, has lived up to her title.

The ‘Canes will continue their home stand as they to host in-state rival South Florida at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 6 p.m. on Friday, which will also be senior night, honoring Bradley and Stevens.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...