Tennis keeps on rolling

7-0 wins were a theme last weeked for the women’s tennis team, starting with a sweep past the University of Maryland Terrapins on Sunday.

This has been the story for the ‘Canes since they began their new journey in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The women now hold a 5-0 record in ACC play and have posted nine sweeps this season, eight of them coming at home.

Standouts throughout the season have been junior Melissa Applebaum, senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada. Applebaum, who finished this weekend with one of her best showings of the season, began doubles play alongside senior Staci Stevens. With immense drive, the duo defeated their opponents 8-0. Equally impressive was the fourth ranked tandem of Bradley and Banada, who defeated their opponents 8-3 to clinch the doubles point.

To finish the job, the women came out fiercely in singles play. Bradley got the singles started with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory at the No. 1 slot. Applebaum also sent her opponent home in straight sets, defeating Marianne Baker 6-3, 6-1. Banada, to finish the afternoon, won 7-6, 6-2, closing the book on the Terrapins.

Last Friday’s match also proved satisfying for the women, as the Hurricanes beat Virginia in another 7-0 victory. Beginning with a clinch in doubles, the ‘Canes took two of those three matches. Bradley again showed her undeniable command in the sport, finishing her singles match with a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Applebaum gave Miami’s team just what it needed with a 6-1, 6-4 win in singles play.

It is no wonder why Miami’s No. 1 star performer, Bradley, was recently acknowledged as the ACC Performer of the Week for the second time this season. Bradley, who has been ranked No.1 since March 8 in the Intercollegiate Athletic Association (ITA) rankings, has lived up to her title.

The ‘Canes will continue their home stand as they to host in-state rival South Florida at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 6 p.m. on Friday, which will also be senior night, honoring Bradley and Stevens.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...