Tennis keeps on rolling

7-0 wins were a theme last weeked for the women’s tennis team, starting with a sweep past the University of Maryland Terrapins on Sunday.

This has been the story for the ‘Canes since they began their new journey in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The women now hold a 5-0 record in ACC play and have posted nine sweeps this season, eight of them coming at home.

Standouts throughout the season have been junior Melissa Applebaum, senior Megan Bradley and sophomore Audrey Banada. Applebaum, who finished this weekend with one of her best showings of the season, began doubles play alongside senior Staci Stevens. With immense drive, the duo defeated their opponents 8-0. Equally impressive was the fourth ranked tandem of Bradley and Banada, who defeated their opponents 8-3 to clinch the doubles point.

To finish the job, the women came out fiercely in singles play. Bradley got the singles started with a 6-1, 6-1 straight set victory at the No. 1 slot. Applebaum also sent her opponent home in straight sets, defeating Marianne Baker 6-3, 6-1. Banada, to finish the afternoon, won 7-6, 6-2, closing the book on the Terrapins.

Last Friday’s match also proved satisfying for the women, as the Hurricanes beat Virginia in another 7-0 victory. Beginning with a clinch in doubles, the ‘Canes took two of those three matches. Bradley again showed her undeniable command in the sport, finishing her singles match with a 6-0, 6-1 victory. Applebaum gave Miami’s team just what it needed with a 6-1, 6-4 win in singles play.

It is no wonder why Miami’s No. 1 star performer, Bradley, was recently acknowledged as the ACC Performer of the Week for the second time this season. Bradley, who has been ranked No.1 since March 8 in the Intercollegiate Athletic Association (ITA) rankings, has lived up to her title.

The ‘Canes will continue their home stand as they to host in-state rival South Florida at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 6 p.m. on Friday, which will also be senior night, honoring Bradley and Stevens.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...