Pike suspended; fraternity under investigation

The UM Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) charter was suspended earlier this week.

“The international fraternity-located in Memphis, Tennessee-suspended the chapter effective Monday afternoon,” said Greg Singleton, Associate Dean of students. “It’s an initial 30-day suspension and there will be an extensive investigation both from the national fraternity and the University working in concert.”

Pike is accused of violations of international fraternity policy and the University Code of Conduct, as well as being financially delinquent to the national organization, Singleton said.

“The University is working closely with national headquarters, local alumni and the executive director,” said Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “In the interim, all chapter related activities have been suspended, pending the outcome of the inquiry.”

According to Singleton, the brothers will not have to move out of their house during the investigation.

“We expect all of our student organizations to adhere to both University policy and state law, and while we strongly support our Greek organizations on campus, there are also expectations of membership on campus,” Singleton said.

Singleton will be meeting with national representatives of the fraternity some time next week. At this time, there has been no decision made concerning the future of Pike.

>> The Hurricane will continue to follow up on this issue as details become available.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...