Pike suspended; fraternity under investigation

The UM Gamma Omega chapter of Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) charter was suspended earlier this week.

“The international fraternity-located in Memphis, Tennessee-suspended the chapter effective Monday afternoon,” said Greg Singleton, Associate Dean of students. “It’s an initial 30-day suspension and there will be an extensive investigation both from the national fraternity and the University working in concert.”

Pike is accused of violations of international fraternity policy and the University Code of Conduct, as well as being financially delinquent to the national organization, Singleton said.

“The University is working closely with national headquarters, local alumni and the executive director,” said Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs. “In the interim, all chapter related activities have been suspended, pending the outcome of the inquiry.”

According to Singleton, the brothers will not have to move out of their house during the investigation.

“We expect all of our student organizations to adhere to both University policy and state law, and while we strongly support our Greek organizations on campus, there are also expectations of membership on campus,” Singleton said.

Singleton will be meeting with national representatives of the fraternity some time next week. At this time, there has been no decision made concerning the future of Pike.

>> The Hurricane will continue to follow up on this issue as details become available.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...